Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

'stuck Pedal' Caused Tense Moments

Kyle

Yes Huffy keep it simple is the way to do it. One problem is that the landing area may not be crosswind or at the same altitudes, and if so then do some factfinding on the way. Long as you have fuel, no vibrations and no chip lights you should have time.

KISS method for sure though....

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pretty much have to agree with everything skullcap said. He hit the nail on the head.

I always like to just fly it out with nose crabbed left and playing with the power to see what it wants to do and once you get into a hover if the nose goes right chop throttle and if it goes left grease it down.

Thats exactly what it looked like that enstrom pilot did to me. He flew it to a hover with a nice left crab and he ended up having more left pedal than required to hover so he spun once and just planted it on.

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE (Jet B @ Mar 6 2008, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I pretty much have to agree with everything skullcap said. He hit the nail on the head.

I always like to just fly it out with nose crabbed left and playing with the power to see what it wants to do and once you get into a hover if the nose goes right chop throttle and if it goes left grease it down.

Thats exactly what it looked like that enstrom pilot did to me. He flew it to a hover with a nice left crab and he ended up having more left pedal than required to hover so he spun once and just planted it on.

Well finally some one who understands, I never did like the old too much power to hover vs power pedal vs not enough tailrotor vs god knows what. Rule number one is fly the aircraft. In general on any Helicopter that rotates in the same direction as a 206 if the nose is stuck less than 30 degrees left in a normal type approach the it will want to go right if you don't time the landing perfect. But so what, once the nose lines up with your direction of travel squeeze off the throttle to control. If the nose is more than 30 degrees left beep down the gov. Hopefully it will now be in the 30 or less range and all is well. If not then a steeper approach is needed so you can pull in more power to arrest your descent forcing the nose to center or right and all is still good. Forget where your pedals are stuck its the nose of the Helicopter that counts.

On an Astar find an airport or road and follow the manual, that big long tail and Vertical stab have a lot of surface area at speed.

Your mileage may vary of course.

• 3 years later...

I've heard of and tried a variety of methods for "diagnosing" a high-power, neutral, or low-power stuck pedal. Personally, on a JR I like to fly at 60 mph and see how much Tq is required to centre the ball. If it's more than hover Tq it's high-power, less than hover Tq is low-power. Then I know more of what to expect at the bottom end. I don't really know why this method works, though. At 60 mph the tail fin is working pretty hard, when landing it ain't... Makes me scratch my head and wonder. I've tried this method in an Astar at 60 kias and it turned out that the indication was all wrong.

What method do you prefer? Why do you like it? Can you explain why it works?

Look forward to your replies,

DM