Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ratio Of Licensed To Employed

I'm curious if anyone out there has the numbers on how many licensed helicopter pilots and engineers there are in Canada? Of those licensed, how many are gainfully employed in the industry and make their living solely from this job?

Thanks for the help.

gc

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious if anyone out there has the numbers on how many licensed helicopter pilots and engineers there are in Canada? Of those licensed, how many are gainfully employed in the industry and make their living solely from this job?

Thanks for the help.

gc

The last i heard and this was a few years ago from Helicopters Mag the number of people who obtained their licenses then acrtually made it into the industry was about 10%

Hard to really say what the ratios are. I would think the placement percentage is higher than 10% nowdays. Probably closer to 30 or 40%. I think the better picture would be to ask how may are in flying jobs 5 years out of school. Many get hired as ground crew straight out of school and eventually drop out or get culled...

The best info I can come up with is the TC licensing stats:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/general/.../stats/menu.htm

SPP = Student Pilot Permit

Taking all that data and crunching it a little reveals the following:

• As of dec 31 2007, there were 3097 CPLH, and 938 ATPLH in force (that means current medicals, not necessarily in flying jobs).
  • Of these, 860, or 28% of CPLH holders were aged 50 or over, and 381, or 41% of ATPLH holders were aged 50 or over.
  • The largest slice of CPLH is the under 30 crowd, at 588. We can assume that a large proportion of these are low-time pilots not currently in a flying job.
  • 321 new CPLH (or 10%) and 94 new ATPLH (or 10%) were issued in 2007.
  • There was a sharp rise in new CPLH (321 in 2007 vs 230 for 2006, or 40%), and a moderate rise in new ATPLH (94 in 2007 vs 75 in 2006, or 25%).
Without numbers of licenses retired, it's difficult to get an accurate picture, but logically, I seriously doubt that there are 98 CPLH and ATPLH pilots over the age of 65 actively flying in Canada today. I might be wrong, but I doubt it.

We can also see that business was good for flight schools in 2007. Seems a lot more folks want to fly now, despite the difficulties involved in making it in this industry.

With the high percentage of pilots aged 50 or over, something will have to happen for lower-time pilots to fill the void when these old codgers retire, or we'll have a lot more old farts like Helilog56 needing a walker to get to their machines and flying well into their 60s... :bleh:

My head hurts... :wacko:

I dunno skids, 60% of all statistics are made up, 80% of all people know that.

:P

There is a few people out there that just want to have the licence... I know of 2 or 3 in training right now that don't aspire to fly for a living (although one's dad may just buy him a helicopter <_< ).

Curious... how many licenced CHPL's is there under issued to those under 20 punks? :P

Cheers.

Cole

Thank you for the replies.

I have wondered for a while now as to how much of a niche our career is. As a percentage of the Canadian workforce, it would appear that we are a relatively small and insignificant group (despite what some of the larger egos in our industry would have us believe).

:shock: :lol:

gc

I was looking at the bar, I saw the bar, it was right in front of me... yet I walked into it :P

Actually I just thought it would be intresting to see how many people do the flying thing right out of highschool.

Cheers.

Cole

I was looking at the bar, I saw the bar, it was right in front of me... yet I walked into it :P

Actually I just thought it would be intresting to see how many people do the flying thing right out of highschool.

Cheers.

Cole

i'll add to this. I am a pilot/engineer. ok, not a rotory pilot. (fixed) but i am a rotory engineer.

I got my pirvate pilots licence while in grade 11. went wrenching right after grade 12. aviation school was at high school. the only school in canada that had aviation as a class and was approved. (Central tech). was an engineer while i did my commercial pilots licence and IFR. Then flew for a bit.

Back wrenching again. This is going to be my 33rd season. 2 to go and done. If there was a company that had a plane for AOGs. would not take a lot to interest me. would be a nice way to finish a good career.