Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ratio Of Licensed To Employed

My My My how things have changed. The last numbers I had seen and mind you this was a few years ago. There were about 2100 H-pilots in Canada, about 700 employed full time, 700 seasonal drivers and the other 700 looking for work or just keeping the medicals up todate. But this is not to indicate that about one out of every three flight school graduate gets a job.

I,m sure its even worse down here in the states. Althought now that Silver State has gone butts up there won't be quite so many graduates for awhile. Saw a flat deck heading toward Dallas on I-20 the other day with two R-22 on board. They used to belong to Silver State.

Cheers

SOB

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking at the bar, I saw the bar, it was right in front of me... yet I walked into it :P

Actually I just thought it would be intresting to see how many people do the flying thing right out of highschool.

Cheers.

Cole

Not as many now as back in the day. When I flew in Saskatchabush in the 70's I was 24 years old and my nickname was Pop's. Over half had completed all training and taken rides before old enough to hold license. I was the old guy then and I'm the old guy now. Wheres the justice????

Guest Bullet Remington

Yeah, deuce is right, alot less around now then there was even a year ago!

I stand to be correct, but I belive TCAA's figures for 2007 was 16,000 licensed engineers. The 2008 figures shows 13,000. So in four to five yearsm we'll all be either retired, or employed in something other then aviation.

Beyound a shadow of a doubt earning much more coin, for alot less hours, and a lot less aggravation!

Guest Bullet Remington
Bulls#h!t!

Can you elaboarte a little more on that Hazy, or is this response just based upon you own experience/s rather then fact/s? :punk:

A few years ago I was told by an reputable instructor that of the people who completed their CPLH only 20% would find a flying job. I was later told that the # was 17%, and that the average career span was 5 years if we did find a job flying. Would be curious if those numbers were accurate then and now? :huh:

Beyound a shadow of a doubt earning much more coin, for alot less hours, and a lot less aggravation!

Wow thats a bold statement. First off when you are on a tour do you class yourself working 24 hours a day? If so I can understand when you say about "alot less hours". The only time Ive seen people pull long hours is when a machine breaks down and there is an urgency to get it flying. How many people do you know that are not in aviation that have a schedule like most aviation companys with for example 2 on 2 off or 3 on 3 off. Hmm according to my calculations that means you actually have half the year off and that doesnt include your holidays. Alot of people I know outside of aviation work 5-6 days a week, 8 - 12 hrs a day for 48 odd weeks of the year and they earn nothing like the money that is earned wrenching or flying helicopters.

You must either be in the wrong job or have some very succcesful friends and coleagues that you are comparing yourself against.

Maybe if you worked for 48 weeks then you would earn much more coin and then be able to say alot less hours.

Can you elaboarte a little more on that Hazy, or is this response just based upon you own experience/s rather then fact/s? :punk:

Sorry, got hammered last night and misread your post.

Rotonutz, what's your background to be able to make a comment like that?

H (sober)