Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Helmet Mics

I am wondering what type of mics people are using on their helmets. I have 2 different electret mics and seem to be constantly adjusting the vox so that I stop getting hisses and pops. The problem being to get it to stop I have turned the vox down so low that I have to turn it up if a passenger wants to talk to me. This happens on different a/c and constantly reaching for the dial is annoying. Is this common to all electret? Does anybody use an M87 at 150 ohms? I am expecting a shiny new Gallet here in a week or 2 but could only get electret for it as well. Does that Mic Muff sold by Merit do anything to stop that noise? Thank you in advance.

I have used electret mics for years and generally dislike them due to exactly what you are describing. Plus they fail more often. The little foam socks do make them work better and last longer.

Longlining with the door off in moisture wrecks them pdq have found, but may be my yelling at the hook,,,,, :unsure:

My preference is the old dynamic mic and turn the sensitivity screw right down to the minimum. They are ugly but work fine and are cheap to replace every 3 or so years.

I haven't tried the dynamic series, but I'm rather fond of the David Clark on my LH250, 25-30 hours of long line training didnt seem to phase it at all, the leather mic muff takes care of most of the moisture.

Cheers.

Cole.

The VOX sensitivity has everything to do with mic impedance. If your mics don't all have the same (or almost the same) impedance, you won't be able to set the VOX to a precise setting. Like I said in another topic recently, I carry two mics in my bag and switch back and forth when I change a/c to us ethe one that's closest.

You really scratch your head though when you get into a machine with five different brand/model headsets in it... :wacko::lol:

Yes agree skidz, but a little trick when using the beloved electret mic and all else are dynamic is to turn sensitivity down to minimum on ALL the dynamic mics in aircraft.

Are the sensitivity controls the same on all dynamic mics ? Not sure my dynamic mic even has a sensitivity setting on it... :huh:

As far as I know the David Clarks all have a small screw(little white screw on side towards your face) that you can turn down to reduce sensitivity.

Yeah, I had a look in the machine I'm flying now. It has three DCs with amplified dynamic mics and two FlightComms with non-amplified dynamic mics. The dynamic mic I've got is the military non-amplified dynamic type (no sensitivity adjustment there). I think I've got an old DC amplified dynamic mic at home. I'll have a look on my next daze off... ;)

Hey Scully,

Thanks for the mental image of you screaming down the line at your hook,wearing out your mic....I can picture exactly what you would look and sound like........cost of admission..................priceless!!!

LTE