Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Synthetic Long Lines

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SP

Well if you cannot understand the difference between look for a landing spot with eng chip light on or say pulling the bulb out of the light cause it is probably nothing anyway then read on.

My opinion is that if ff thinks that we are being too cautious and going on about nothing than he should either state his opinion in an respectful mannor or not. The statement, "maybe we shouldn't fly cause the engine MIGHT fail" leads me to believe what I have heard many pilots state that why worry about this stuff anyway as you are at the end of a longline and dead anyway if something goes wrong.

Is there something wrong with trying to be proactive or should we just get better at doing autorotations?

Maybe am just reading something out of nothing, seem to be getting better at that lately. But this thread seemed to bring out some decent information and folks networked to learn more, got my little feeling hurt maybe.

sc

I'm not sure everyone has all the same information to base their statements on.

Is the idea of not using synthetic lines on fires based on the 65 degree 'critical temperature'? This is the temperature at which the line loses 20-25% of its strength, not the temp at which it catastrophically fails. (This is temperary too as the strength returns as it cools.) The more common synthetic lines out there have a melting point of around 125 degrees so how close exactly are you guys getting to the red stuff?

Yes I understand that Banoy, but where do you draw the line for safety. If a line has a breaking strength of say 33,000 lbs with a 6:1 safe working load ratio then the line is good for say 5500 lbs, which end do you account for the 20-25 % reduction strength. Logically you would simply subtract it from the 33000 lbs to give you 24750 lbs and thus a safe work load of 4125 lbs. But my opinion is that if a line is being weakened by an unknown factor(degrees of heat being variable) then you cannot reasonably say what would be the new reduction in load carriing capability. 65'C is not that hot and is the strength reduction linear to 125'C, I don't know and since there are too many variables then will install safety measures to prevent rope failure.

I won't hesitate to use a synthetic line while bucketing, however it is good to know about the sensitivity to heat. That being said, I still can't imagine a situation where my line would be exposed to open flame. If there is something I'm missing please fill me in. Has anyone ever been in a situation where the tops were crowning and you still had to lower the bucket down to a mop up crew through dense top foliage?? :wacko: Doesn't seem likely to me but like I said, please educate me if you know something... Thanks. ;)