Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Time To Buy A New Helmet

I had an SPH-4 for 10 years, an Alpha for 20 so the time has come the walrus said......plus my engineer is MOCKING my helmet and I can hardly take his withering look as I hit the side of it in the mornings to get the left ear piece working.

So I'm looking at either the Alpha 200 or the Gallet 150/250 and would appreciate any input. I'm tending towards the Alpha because I like my old one. The Gallet looks solid but maybe quite hot.

Thoughts from anyone who's bought either of these in the last few years?

Thanks

David Wood

I had an SPH-4 for 10 years, an Alpha for 20 so the time has come the walrus said......plus my engineer is MOCKING my helmet and I can hardly take his withering look as I hit the side of it in the mornings to get the left ear piece working.

So I'm looking at either the Alpha 200 or the Gallet 150/250 and would appreciate any input. I'm tending towards the Alpha because I like my old one. The Gallet looks solid but maybe quite hot.

Thoughts from anyone who's bought either of these in the last few years?

Thanks

David Wood

David,

I just bought a new Gallet last month but I went with the LH 050 version rather than the 150 or the 250. The helmet is identical in every way to the 150/250 other than it does not come with an external visor. Without the external visor the helmet is slightly lighter and also less bulky in the bubble window when longlining. The internal visor is available in all of the same colours as the external one. I went with the grey visor as I find it is a great sun shade for the eyes but it also works very well to provide definition in flat light. The helmet comes with a range of cushions that allow you to customize the fit. I think most people go with the aftermarket Oregon Aero Hush Kit and Zeta Liner to add to the comfort. Anyway, so far so good with the LH050. It was $1315.00 USD with avionics from Helmet FX. Oregon Aero Hush Kit and volume control extra. Hope this helps.

Ben Whyte

David,

I just bought a new Gallet last month but I went with the LH 050 version rather than the 150 or the 250. The helmet is identical in every way to the 150/250 other than it does not come with an external visor. Without the external visor the helmet is slightly lighter and also less bulky in the bubble window when longlining. The internal visor is available in all of the same colours as the external one. I went with the grey visor as I find it is a great sun shade for the eyes but it also works very well to provide definition in flat light. The helmet comes with a range of cushions that allow you to customize the fit. I think most people go with the aftermarket Oregon Aero Hush Kit and Zeta Liner to add to the comfort. Anyway, so far so good with the LH050. It was $1315.00 USD with avionics from Helmet FX. Oregon Aero Hush Kit and volume control extra. Hope this helps.

Ben Whyte

THanks Ben,

I was looking at he pictures of the Gallets and couldn't tell if the 10 and 250 also had the internal visor that the 050 has, in addition to the external one. If not, then is that space in the shell taken up with extra padding?

David, I have the Gallet as well it is very light and low profile, and like go coastal says it is good for longlining. The balance point is up high on your head which makes it less strain on your neck while LL. They are are great helmet, the only thing that I don't like is the Zeta Liner makes my head itchy sometimes.

THanks Ben,

I was looking at he pictures of the Gallets and couldn't tell if the 10 and 250 also had the internal visor that the 050 has, in addition to the external one. If not, then is that space in the shell taken up with extra padding?

As far as I know, the Gallet is not available without an internal visor. The lowest model is the LH050 which comes standard with the internal visor. You'll just have to decide whether or not you would like an external visor in addition to the internal one (the external visor comes standard on the LH150 and LH250). You can remove the internal visor quite easily if you want (on my old helmet I removed the external one without too much trouble). If you do decide to remove the internal visor, you won't gain any extra room for padding as the space which the visor occupies is between the helmet "innards" and the hard outer shell. Clear as mud, right?

Hope this helps.

Ben

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Gallet 150 and have for 10 years now. I have the Oregon Hush kit and highly recommend it. I have the Black inner visor and Amber outer with the hard cover protector on the outside. I have no issues with it in the 407 and it is fine in the As350 as well for longlining. I found that using a beeny(sp?) helps to keep longevity of the inner foam. I have replaced the ear and neck pieces once and had issues with my volume control and my plug end. I think the problems were due to extended time in one a/c that bent the end funny. I would recommend the longer cord for sure. Otherwise it has been a great helmet and it is very confortable even on long days. The beeny helps on really hot days as well!!!

koala

Cirus also saw the add emailed manufacturer had this reply.

The helmets shown on the attached web page are not helicopter helmets but helmets designed for rallying. Someone has equipped them in order to "helicopterise" them. They may work well for use on a helicopter but are designed to be used in a rally car.

European Portfolio Manager Passive Earmuffs

3M Svenska AB/Peltor

Box 2341

Malmstensgatan19

S-331 02 Värnamo

E-mail: jrapp@mmm.com

Direct: +46 (0)370 69 42 65

Mobile: +46 (0)705 69 42 99