Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Md530 F External Lifting Capabilities

The advantage of a 530F is better hot-and-high performance than a 500D.

Your job doesn't sound like the time of year or altitude for this ship's benefits.

I think I hear an A-star coming..........

Hi - I`m running an astar right now on seismic - but as you might know the programs are getting smaller and the bids getting lower so having some alternative and still be compatible would be nice.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have been maintaining a 530 FF which was bought new last year. Have managed to get a set of original MD blades to put on it as the PMA ones wouldn't pull the skin off a cold rice pudding. Even with the MD blades in no wind conditions, there is no way you could lift 1800 lb + pilot and 1 hrs gas....... besides with an average EW 1800lbs, load 1600 lbs, pilot 220 lbs, fuel 250lbs makes AUW 3870 lbs. MAX UAW in the book 3750 Lbs................ doesnt add up.

as the PMA ones wouldn't pull the skin off a cold rice pudding.

Gotta love the lingo! Got a writer here . . . .

Are the blades that different? Not familiar with them. Are the PMA ones cheaper?

Cheers . . . .

Gotta love the lingo! Got a writer here . . . .

Are the blades that different? Not familiar with them. Are the PMA ones cheaper?

Cheers . . . .

For the longest time the PMA ones have been the only blades available. MD stopped making blades for the 500 and outsourced it to some company in Mexico. On a 500D they supposedly cost you 200 lbs of lift.

I'm not sure who does it, but you can also get "modded" blades that perform pretty close to the original MD blades. You can identify them by the white strip they paint near the blade route to make it easier to do the torque event inspection.

Also, MD is supposed to begin producing the blades themselves again although that was annouced well over a year ago and I haven't heard anything since then.

The last blade made MD was the -523 and had ribs out near the leading edge strip. The finishing of the blade was fairly decent and it was a good performer accept for the cracking issue. When HTC came out with the 500P2100-101 (which was also sold by MD as a 369# due to the fact that when Boeing left them on their own to die they took the blade capabilities with them) the all round finishing was horrible. The machining on the roots was bad , the bonding was messy and the leading edge strip sat really high off the surface of the blade allowing the air to spoil as it passed ove the surface. As well as that HTC decided it to be better to put a honeycomb strip instead of ribs starting +/- 6" passed the start of the leading edge strip to almost the end. The painting of the first 2' of the root of the blade was a customer option that was recommended in a bulletin and you could also accomplish it yourself. Then came the 500P2100-103, The finishing was better but the leading edgestrip still sat up. People started filling behind the leading edge strip with Hysol and that did seam to help get some of the lift back. You also still had to paint the root yourself. Most recently the 105 has been released and the leading edge strip issue is resolved, the finishing is beautiful and the roots come painted, as well they track out really nice with not much effort. MD has talked about a new blade based on the 523 but has yet to produce a set and things are tight all over so it could be a while. Thats my perspective!

Didn't the 530 on seismic TE the blades out in short order?? I heard an operator in Alberta.. found that out quick and put the machine up for sale because of it

There is no retirement life for Torque Events on anything. That number is just used for Torque event inspections (as well as 35 hours whichever comes first) and that is only after 13720 TE AND 750 hrs although it is recommended to do the inspection from new. Torque events are also used in calculating RINs on the M/R Driveshaft on 369/500/600 Fan Driveshaft and M/R Blades on the 600. 1 000 000 Rins and they are toast. What you are refering is the 600 that was replacing blades half life due to experience with his type of work. Does not hurt to be cautious.

Didn't the 530 on seismic TE the blades out in short order?? I heard an operator in Alberta.. found that out quick and put the machine up for sale because of it

There were several factors that caused the machine to be sold. In the end we got rid of it because it wouldn't outperform the D's and the extra cost couldn't be justified to the client.