Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Full-ons

I spend my days doing full on autos so I feel I should add a few things. And yes I have some free time and even better I've had a few beers, so sit back and relax. :P

At Premier all autos are done to the ground, and you can not go solo until you demonstrate a full on auto without any help from the instructor.( I must be nuts :wacko: ) . I've trained around 60 pilots now and do around 200 with each, thats a lot of crazy moments. So, when you're letting that many 15 hr student do full on’s, you see a lot of mistakes.(man, I could tell you some stories :blink: )

When the student makes a mistake it's the training pilots job to fix it, so I get to spend my days fixing !@#$ed up auto’s.(lucky me :punk: )

When a student misses the flare height, I use the collective to hold it in the air while I slow down as much as I can and get it straight, when rpm droops to the critical point I come level and except the run on. You can get away with so much if you are straight and level.( which they were, or it would have been much worse) As a matter of fact the speed of the run on adds a tremendous amount of lift. A 30 mph run on isn't the best result for an auto but it's better than the alternative and takes very little collective.

Training always has risk attached, but I feel the art of "to the ground" emergency procedures is slowly disappearing from our industry :down: . I commend the the schools who still insist on "to the ground every time"! :up: I had 3,000 hours before I worked for someone who did power recoveries. Now most lowtimers only feel cumfortable when doing an auto to the hover and it's just not the same :unsure: . I think its a shame(ha I'm a poet)! I chalenge my students present and past to tell me where the mistake was?

Knowing what to do when everything is wrong is more important than knowing what to do when all is in the green!

rob

I spend my days doing full on autos so I feel I should add a few things. And yes I have some free time and even better I've had a few beers, so sit back and relax. :P

At Premier all autos are done to the ground, and you can not go solo until you demonstrate a full on auto without any help from the instructor.( I must be nuts :wacko: ) . I've trained around 60 pilots now and do around 200 with each, thats a lot of crazy moments. So, when you're letting that many 15 hr student do full on’s, you see a lot of mistakes.(man, I could tell you some stories :blink: )

When the student makes a mistake it's the training pilots job to fix it, so I get to spend my days fixing !@#$ed up auto’s.(lucky me :punk: )

When a student misses the flare height, I use the collective to hold it in the air while I slow down as much as I can and get it straight, when rpm droops to the critical point I come level and except the run on. You can get away with so much if you are straight and level.( which they were, or it would have been much worse) As a matter of fact the speed of the run on adds a tremendous amount of lift. A 30 mph run on isn't the best result for an auto but it's better than the alternative and takes very little collective.

Training always has risk attached, but I feel the art of "to the ground" emergency procedures is slowly disappearing from our industry :down: . I commend the the schools who still insist on "to the ground every time"! :up: I had 3,000 hours before I worked for someone who did power recoveries. Now most lowtimers only feel cumfortable when doing an auto to the hover and it's just not the same :unsure: . I think its a shame(ha I'm a poet)! I chalenge my students present and past to tell me where the mistake was?

Knowing what to do when everything is wrong is more important than knowing what to do when all is in the green!

rob

ABSOLUTELY!! Well said.

I have only been flying for a few years, but when it comes time for reccurancy all our auto's are done full on, unless there is no wind then one does a power recovery. The few recoveries that I have done feels like that is only 1/4 of the procedure(not much to them!). There is nothing better for a student than full ons! Glad everyone is OK! I do wish a person could practice auto's at gross weight however (or maybe it would have the same result, spread gear) seeing as how we spend alot of time at or near gross.