Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Bell Manuals On A Macbook

skidkicker

Does anyone know if the Bell MM work on a macbook on the snow leopard operating system. I know that the Open 350 doesn't. If I buy a Macbook, I don't want to install windows. With everyone going to electronic manuals, it would be nice to have at least 5 hrs of battery life instead of finding 200 feet of extension cord to run out to the helicopter.

Thanks.

Just get a mac, partition the hard drive and install windows that you had from your last computer. It won't cost you any more and you get the best of both worlds. I have done it to mine. It takes about 20 min to install everything. Once it is set-up you can choose which operating system you want to run at the start-up. Everything will run fine on it.

Does anyone know if the Bell MM work on a macbook on the snow leopard operating system. I know that the Open 350 doesn't. If I buy a Macbook, I don't want to install windows. With everyone going to electronic manuals, it would be nice to have at least 5 hrs of battery life instead of finding 200 feet of extension cord to run out to the helicopter.

Thanks.

You have two options, Install windows and use the Disk, or if you always have internet on hand, bell manuals are online for free as a PDF file at bellhelicopters.net

Chopterlol.. you poor misguided soul. Mac is the poop. "Can a 'decent pc run the Mac OS?" No. But as other's have said, you can run Windows on a Mac.. Do I need to talk really S-L-O-W so you can understand computers?

I run the advantex (sp?) Bell manuals on my Mac with the regular CD-Rom and can open them with Adobe reader(which is free btw) and they work fine. A Mac operating system can't compute any file extension with an .exe so that is where the partitioned hard drive comes in if you are really stuck, as with the Open 350 for A-Stars.

But a Mac will do both easily and at the same time. Try that on any PC. Go Mac and never look back.

Open 350 is retarded anyway. I asked a Eurocopter tech rep why they don't have a Mac compatible MM.. typical french... too arrogant to admit that they made a mistake. If the open 350 was in PDF format, it would work on both operating systems.

Wake-up Eurocopter.. its not just a PC world anymore.

AF I forgot you went to the dark side. Actually a PC can run MAC OS as a virtual machine I believe but that's not the question being asked.

I've used vmware before to run other OS's on PC's http://www.vmware.com I think I remember seeing a Mac version. The second OS runs as a widow on the desk top so you don't have to worr about rebooting into another OS just to run single program.

DR

Throw the idea of a Mac out the window unless you are really computer savvy. Not bad machines but if you know Microsoft and it takes some time to learn new programs (ie: Office 2007) then you're better off just getting a laptop PC. Partitioning the drive and loading Windows is simple but you'll go through batteries trying to keep up with the amount of memory you're using up. All the MM's for anything I've seen going digital can be used on a PC and you don't have to worry about the slower manufacturers not making one for the aircraft you're working on.

its like buying a brand new chevy and putting a ford engine in it so it will work properly. haha.

come to think of it chev is about a bad a company as apple.

No No it's more like putting a Ford engine in the trunk of your Bugatti Veyron, it will slow it down a bit at first but in the end all 16 cylinders and 4 turbos will be working just like the day it came off the lot.

There is 3 ways to install Bell (Avantex) MM on a Mac (Intel) with leopard or snow leopard:

1- Install Windows with bootcamp and your Mac will run like a PC. Required reboot every time to switch from Mac OS to Windows. You can play Windows games that way.

2- Install Windows with Parallels Desktop and you will have both OS at the same time. Because of the 2 OS running at the same time on the same hard drive, it won’t be a fast computer, forget playing games on windows. With Windows be careful with virus specially if you share folders between both OS. http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/

3- Use crossover to install Bell (avantex) MM on your Mac. You don’t need to install windows. I use that way for the last 6 months for Bell avantex. I never tried Open 350 with crossover.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

Since a few years Bell have techpub on dvds but I never tried them on a Mac, I’m sure it will work with parallels desktop and bootcamp. There is other software you can try but those are the one I use. There is no super easy way, but when its install it will be easy!

Good luck!

PP