Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Cooking An Engine - Whats The Punishment

I can imagine the horrible pressure he felt after the initial mistake. Especially being new to the outfit without sufficient time to prove himself and build up the "equity" required to ride something like that out.

However, an experienced pilot making a conscious decision to fly a machine with a potentially unservicable engine... with passengers of any ilk, including his own people... I don't think if I was his boss I would be his boss anymore. I've had that horrible "shotgun in the backseat" sound when a turbine decides to leave you in flight, and just thinking about taking off after an over-temp of undetermined proportions scares the **** out of me.

Even if maintenance had been contacted and I was told to fly it home I suspect I would have insisted on a borescope or other hot-end inspection before I would do so.

HV

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Harmonic Vibrator....

Hot-end inspection ?????????

Yowza ! I don't even like it when my doctor does that to me.....let alone an engineer !!!!

Is this what TACHBOX was warning us about on that other "deteriorating" thread ??

P.S. Do you find it interesting to read all TACHBOX's direct slurs of people, and then his threats about legal action because of what other people have said about someone else.......(or is it really someone else). .....and why does he keep listing jwsralphs personal and private legal issues on this forum???..........Hmmmmmm.

Most of the good comments to be made about this kind of experience have been made. I'd only like to add that, if a company fires you for an honest human mistake, not one of a series, did you really want to be with that kind of an outfit? The industry has come a long way from when that was 'common' practice, and I trust there'll be no regression. B)

P.S. Do you find it interesting to read all TACHBOX's direct slurs of people, and then his threats about legal action because of what other people have said about someone else.......(or is it really someone else). .....and why does he keep listing jwsralphs personal and private legal issues on this forum???..........Hmmmmmm.

Wasn't there a song called "Things That Make You Go Hmmmm"? I'm trying to avoid further comment because I'm afraid to let the genie out of the bottle...

HV :wacko:

interesting dilema! Difficult to provide a "prediction answer" without more information.Is it a big company like CHC, or a mom and pop?

Small corporation with not alot of money- odds are he is gone, if they can support that he was not paying attention.

I have never started a EC but suspect that it's the same french setup as the 350. ?Not including the Quebec specials BA+ tankmotor variety,French engine types only.

It would be hard to do if you where paying attention if the same holds true for the EC. The start sequence is clear ( monitor the TOT? if she runs after second peak- hot, back off the fuel no?

Did it light up hot at the begining of the start sequence? EC has a FADESCRAP -i don't know?

I have seen and heard of many pilots that have been canned for negligence, but never because something wasn't rigged properly? But then again there is not alot on the french engines to deal with adjusting, compared to a C20 for example.

But who is going to take the blame? The engineer if there was something wrong? never! Then its his *** .Assuming it was not the pilots fault, on a newer engine Eurocopter would definately find something.

Lots of stories of unruly wrenches forgetting to twist back the throttle on the Jet box after an inspection, pilot jumps in hits the button without checking the detent and poof! Pilot got fired for that! more than a few guys!

The unfortunate thing is that Big $ ,somebody is going to wear it!

thats my two cents worth, feel sorry for the guy, nothing worse than tribulation!

"Keeps listing private legal matters of a person by there full legal name without consent", never! I do hold firm on the fact that if you consider it fair and civil to open a forum at the expense of any individual then its open season on everyone! What's fair is fair right! Or are you one of those individuals who picks and chooses who gets burnt? Probable makes you feel big ?

I would guess that this MR.VIBE might in fact have some deep rooted issues, where buy his actions of opening the "deteriorating industry standards subject " VIBO, defacto maybe feeling guilty about something? Trash anybody lately? Perhaps he derives some sick satisfaction from it?

So make up your mind VIBO, open season or keep it civil by providing a balance and not opening up on anybody? You are the one making the rules here, Goto love contraversy when approved under the VIBO edict. If anything I feel sorry for the kid who got it up the hoop. Kinda makes me want to stay away from Alberta Canada!

Jer-ry, Jer-ry, Jer-ry

It's anybody's guess folks!

There isn't any chance that you come from the Southern States is there?

Maggie, no, it's not you......I feel I missed something too.

You-know-who puts statements in quotation marks as though someone said something.......yet there is no reference to where the quote came from or who made it. Despite a thorough search I cannot find the original statement.........I suspect it is another figment of his imagination.

Someone needs help........and not just with his spelling !!