Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Daily Inspection Sign Outs

windslapper

Perhaps a slightly more morbid look at it, but a good reason to sign out a DI even if it isn't 'required' is that if things go snakey it is on record that the pilot had a look and determined it was safe to go. Could make a difference in the legal end of it after the fact.

I was trying to avoid the morbid thing helimat, but yes, you are right.

Wow, I gotta try this again. withouy ruffeling feathers! however you spell ruffling. what you are saying split I agree. the gentleman who started the topic asked why transport said DI was not required. I think we sometimes all call a pre-flight a daily inspection. transport is just probably more by the letter. A daily INSPECTION is an inspection. usually pilots cant sign out inspections. engineers can. the flight manual for every type ive seen has a pre-flight laid out in it for pilots, usually in the normal operations section. I think when things went sideways any lawyer would dig out the rotorcraft flight manual for the pilot that did the pre flight as reference if no "daily inspection" was required. you can put whatever in the log book but a pilot cant sign out a DI if there isnt one. pre flight yes. I dont know I just think that is what transport is saying.

Hey! No ruffled feathers here. I have to say though that I think we are getting into semantics when we are talking daily inspection versus pre-flight inspection. ECL calls them BFF and ALF, etc etc. All's I know is that although I have never been down the snakey road, I know those who have, and even though they did things properly, they were hung out to dry because they didn't record it all. It's a sad fact, but putting an entry for something you didn't do will often get one into less hot water than doing things right but not entering it in the logbook. Besides, writing 'DI c/o; NDF' takes little effort, so why quibble over it?