Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Lost Another Good One

The chief pilot at Remote Helicopters, Doug MacArthur passed away on the weekend due to an unforeseen accident. Services I understand are being held in Slave Lake this Saturday. I've known Doug since 1976 when we were on the same fire he was flying a 205 with Kenting (IGC) and my Gazelle (G-DUG) with Great Lakes. I also worked with Doug at Kenting from 1979/1980.

He will be sadly missed....my condolences to his only daughter and his family.

HDB

:(

I spent four summers with the Old Boy on RHS wrenching with Doug doing the flying, and from Northern AB to Ontario and Guatemala It was awful comforting to look over and see the old master lighting another dumaurier with the stick between his knees or spending his time tossing horseflys out the window on the way to the next fire. I take away some great memories of nights we drank too much and days we worked too hard. Im going to miss him especially in light of all he taught me. Doug truly was one of the good old boys in this business. My sincere condolences go out to Doug's family especially his daughter Kim and his friends and co workers at Remote Helicopters.

Not that we needed one 'ol bean, but you've given Sandy and I another reason to drink at least "four fingers". The room will be crowded with some "good 'ol boys" when you get there. Tell'em to keep the bar open for us. We'll miss ya bud. :(

My Condolences to his family.

I worked with Doug for three years at Kenting in the mid 70s as my chief pilot.**** of a nice guy,and learned lots from him.Thanks Doug for the 205 and Alloute III endorsments, and my lovly tours in the high arctic.I mean that,I really did love the Arctic.You will be missed by this crazy industry.Please save me a seat at the bar.

Take Care....Mini