Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Big Machines Around Whistler

So I was riding at whistler on Sat (resting and the entrance of lower A-line), and I saw a helicopter fly over. No really!! But apart from the usual 407's and 350's I saw what looked (to me) like an S-92 or a Cormorant. It was pretty high.....and I can't really tell those two apart.....but it had the side pods for wheel gear. definitely not a 430, AW109 or AW139 or eurocopter (no fenestron).

Would a S&R Cormorant would be more likely around there than an S-92?

Why do I want to know? I don't know.

• Like 4

This ia a HUGE negative rep point for whoever posted the initial negative rep for MMike to begin with, and it should be proof positive to the management of this site, that their rep system is poor, it sucks, and it's based on nothing constructive with zero accountability. Its nothing more than a personal agenda against someone they think shouldn't be on this site. Grow up.

Whoever posted the negative rep should stand up and explain to the rest of this site why you seem to think a quizzical yet inexperienced query was worthy of a negative rep.

Thumbs down*

• Like 3

A +1 from me... I'm always curious about any heli that flies overhead, especially if it's different than the usual suspects. BTW, do you spend much time riding Whistler (or anywhere else)? I've worked as a DH bike patroller at Panorama in the past, and I'm picking up a few shifts here and there this summer - until I move to Vancouver in a couple weeks. I don't have my own DH bike right now (just a roadie, a cross-country hardtail and a fixie I just built), but once I'm gainfully employed in the heli industry I think I may buy a freeride bike - it behooves me to enjoy the best of what the North Shore and Whistler have to offer if I'm gonna live nearby!

Back on track - could you tell what colour the machine was?

- Darren

So I was riding at whistler on Sat (resting and the entrance of lower A-line), and I saw a helicopter fly over. No really!! But apart from the usual 407's and 350's I saw what looked (to me) like an S-92 or a Cormorant. It was pretty high.....and I can't really tell those two apart.....but it had the side pods for wheel gear. definitely not a 430, AW109 or AW139 or eurocopter (no fenestron).

Would a S&R Cormorant would be more likely around there than an S-92?

Why do I want to know? I don't know.

Hi MM: Most likly a Cormorant from here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/442_Transport_and_Rescue_Squadron When I lived in Powell River it was quite normal to see them stooging around the area. I also have seen them in the Whistler area. Keep up the good work 442 Squadron!!

Thanks guys.

Sadly I'm at yvr right now waiting for my flight home. My brother lives in van. So I was able to sneak away for a couple of days to whistler. I don't ride nearly as much (or as well) as I used to. When I lived in Seattle I would go up quite a bit. Knew the trails cold. Now....I am Johnny brake check!

Still fun though. Went arse over tea kettle onGoats Gully. Shoulder is a little sore!

Guest bag swinnger

Sounds like the regular sight I have of an AW139 flying up the sunshine coast.

Always way up high and seems to be a frequent route.

There are two machines based at London Aviation, YVR.

I'd be interested to know where they fly to (guessing some exclusive fishing lodge around Desolation Sound).

http://www.londonair.../agusta139.aspx

Those 139's are flying to Sonora Island, London Air's sister company is Sonora Resort