Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Family Life And The Helicopter Business?

JaJR

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the best tour to have is the 2weeks on 2weeks off like 407 driver said.

I have done that in the past with other companies, I have missed it ever since. Now I'm on a 4 and 2 which usually ends up more like 5 and 1. I tried a base job too and that sucked because when I wasn't being called away by the main office for short tours I was always on call when at home...

I guess that's why Heli-logging seems so attractive... No passengers, 2 week rotations, and very good money. But then you are riding around in a machine that gets it's guts pulled out all day every day... :wacko:

I think the best tour to have is the 2weeks on 2weeks off like 407 driver said.

I have done that in the past with other companies, I have missed it ever since. Now I'm on a 4 and 2 which usually ends up more like 5 and 1. I tried a base job too and that sucked because when I wasn't being called away by the main office for short tours I was always on call when at home...

I guess that's why Heli-logging seems so attractive... No passengers, 2 week rotations, and very good money. But then you are riding around in a machine that gets it's guts pulled out all day every day... :wacko:

what i noticed about this thread is ita all about the hardships that pilots experience. do engineers not experience the same tours and harships? What I am concerned about is that both pilots and engineers endure is similar hardships, but pilots usually get a much better pay, and usually better rotations. Telll me why I dersaerve a 6 and 2 rotation when the pilot gets a better deal? I spent many a tour where i see a pilot rotated out once or twice while i sit in camp for weeks on end? I guess MY family is judged so much less important. after all, engineers are only grease-monkeys, right?

I'm not saying that a pilot's rotation is un-desreved....but why is it treated so differently? don't engineers families matter too? Kudos to outfits like Alpine, who treat the engineer staff good too, but 'some' companies don't.

I might have a loving partner at home waiting for me. If I'm away tooo much, I might have similar domestic issues the same as any pilot. the difference is the length of tours. This industry is not pilot-centric. We all sacrifice.

I've heard some in this forum say that if you don't like it, leave. that is great, except that there is a shortage of engineers. there is a shortage because of the working conditions. Engineers are just as dedicated to this industry as any pilot, so agaiin, why the difference?

I'm not trying to stir up pilot vs, engineer sentiment, but don't you think its time to have equal treatment? pilots can't fly with out a signiture in the book. pilots and engineers need to work together.......we need each other.

If you don't like your tours and feel the pilots are being treated better, don't whine to us call your boss the DOM, and I won't even bite on the pilot engineer shite, that's been done to death, act like a pro and you will be treated like one, or sit in your tent for 6 weeks wishing you were someone else, it's your call.

DTII

arctic_front------- well sir, this is one pilot who has always thought that engineers and pilots with the same experience should be paid and treated on exactly the same level......and I've thought that way for over 40 years. I've voiced that opinion many times and it didn't win me any "brownie points" most occasions either. I know why that situation existed many years ago, but it definitely doesn't apply nowadays.

When we used to go for tours in Fort Mcmurray for CHL, the engineers were always sent on the bus and the pilots were sent on Canadian Airlines, and while we were working at the base, the pilots "had" to use the new company truck and the engineers "had" to use the old piece of crap etc...

Explain that one!! :down:

Back to the original topic......My VERY understanding wife and 2 kids have made a 6 and 6 rotation work great for years. To help things along, I told her right from the start, "the day you are unhappy with the situation, just say the word and I quit within 24hours". Its hard enough being away, without thinking theres no way its ever going to end...My families happiness is 200% more important than any job, base, rotation etc......

VTA -----totally agreed. I've made decisions career-wise that I know have hurt me down the road for the family. It was not just for them and some of it was in consideration of my feelings about my family. I've paid some hefty prices for some of those decisions, but the vast majority I would do again in a "New York minute" in order to preserve my family AND continue with my career. I feel that I'm a double-winner as a result. I don't think that it has to be an "either/or" situation at all, if everyone bends a little. If one party won't bend at all, then we have a problem and harder decisions have to be made. There's been enough guys pile into wires, sides of hills, etc over the years because of problems at home and I got enough on my plate as it is without having to worry about "problems back there" or a "certain phone call" I received from home five minutes before take-off.