Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Getting Started With Ifr Helicopters

13th Apostle

I am interested in getting my Canadian IFR for helicopters and need help in finding some pre course reading material.

What would you read if you do not know much about IFR before beginning an IFR Ground School Course?

Would it be easier to do the FAA IFR training first and is it worth getting your FAA IFR?

Do you need Multiengine endorsments and hours flown to get into the international IFR market?

Is there any information that someone should know before getting started?

I can recommend a basic IFR DVD course like Sportys.com offers. The savings on ground school should compensate for what you pay for those DVDs and to me it's definitely more interesting and entertaining to watch a DVD than reading a book.

The only thing which makes the FAA IFR easier is the fact that you can purchase the questions for the written test but I don't think it's worth getting an additional rating.

To get hired internationally I'm pretty sure that you'll need your ATPL first which means that you'll need a rating for a helicopter which requires two pilots for IFR (you can find the list on the Transport Canada website).

In that regards it would be easier to do everything in the US since you can do an ATPL checkride on an R22.

good luck!

I am interested in getting my Canadian IFR for helicopters and need help in finding some pre course reading material.

What would you read if you do not know much about IFR before beginning an IFR Ground School Course?

Would it be easier to do the FAA IFR training first and is it worth getting your FAA IFR?

Do you need Multiengine endorsments and hours flown to get into the international IFR market?

Is there any information that someone should know before getting started?

Twin engine IFR rating is not a must: IFR flight test are done on R22 in Canada. If you feel like spending 60K+ on a M/E type rating, there is lots of schools that will welcome you ! Otherwise, do your S/E IFR and let your employer pay for your T/R.

Only downside of having an IR with no M/E experience is that it might takes you a very long time to get an IFR job and even more time to get into the PIC seat in a MC environment ! (if ever) ;)

Good luck !

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I went to Heli-College in Langley, that is a good place to start and they are very organized. Get the Canadian IFR if you want good training, but you do have to do an IFR ppc as captain on multi crew IFR machine if you want to get your ATPL. And that is required within two years of writing the exam. I had no multi time, but i got on a job and was given the rating. There is no way i could afford it myself and no reason to either, your IFR rating is more important than ME rating as it is harder to get. Make a plan and stick with it, ignore the naysayers. If i can do it, anyone can, just persevere! Look at Stars and Ornge. Heli jet pays badly, but you get a lot of good IFR flying and the experience also seems to count for off shore. Also look at HTSC as they have IFR 212's and they always need co-pilots. Good luck