Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Response To Hv's Petition Proposal

PS: Do it fast because they take about a month off over the holidays.

Thanks Don... very constructive might I say... And we have to January 31st from what I understand although we want to launch the petition very shortly.

HV

Transport Canada deems pilots fatigued after a certain number of flight hours, duty time and days worked, it does not mean that we CAN (not always) become fatigued earlier than the maximums laid out in CARS. We pilots have the right and responsibility to ourselves, our families, our passengers and their families, and our employer to inform our supervisors in the event we have become or are becoming fatigued. I can think of at least 2 occasions where I called my boss because I was tired. I can also think of numerous times where I've been pulled off high flying jobs because I was timing out when I was not fatigued. In my opinion we don't need more restrictive regulations. The regulations as they are work in the helicopter industry.

James Endicott

Well put Geoff! I think for anyone that has spent time in this industry it is very obvious that we face a broad range of very unique challenges. Coming up with solutions will take input from every aspect of the industry. Time is against us Corey but all we can do is lean into it and come up with some solutions that work for US!! I'm onboard Corey, let me know what I can do to help. You know where I live.

Kevin Hogarth

well Fred I think he gave you his name and number earlier in this post. Where he works has no direct bearing on this thread or the other one he started. Cory Taylor has worked in management and he has been a pilot for a good length of time. His motives may serve both the companies and the pilots on this. I do not know who you are and what you are trying to prove or disprove but being as you will not put your name and number up for all to see who is hiding behind the veil of the internet. So buck up Fred lets have your name and number posted for all to see. Steve Schulte 250 793 2561

Corey....your being kind, Buffon does not even come close to describing Fred Lewis...if that is even your real name Fred? Perhaps you can enlighten us as to your background, experience, education and job description also to us??!!!? Cheers.....Bob Kellie

I have to agree with you Corey, and also take the same stand as Bob, as the only thing Fred did not ask for was your licence number, seems more like someone involved with TC and looking to add some job security to there job title. Regulate what they know NOT what they don't !!!! But hey what do I know I am only a multi country licenced commercial helicopter pilot.

Cheers Shawn

• Like 1

A compilation of accidents has been made at Canadian Helicopter Pilots Association (Unincorporated) - Accidents which

would not have occurred had the new FTD regulations been in effect and had the pilots in question adherred to these new regulations. Eight these accidents were fatal. To ignore this fact is to say that the loss of a few lives in the interest of the bottom line is an acceptable point of view. It is not.

In that case, shut down the whole helicopter industry. That would have saved those eight lives, and many more. We want to make things as safe as possible, right? Any lose of life is unacceptable. How many lives could be saved if we banned motor vehicles? Is a few thousand lives each year acceptable in the interest of the bottom line for auto manufacturers, insurance agencies, repair shops, driving schools, oil companies, refineries, etc? Shutting it all down would make the world a safer place.

I don't doubt that there are some deaths and accidents that could've been prevented with changes to FDT regs. But how many more potential deaths and accidents are out there when you have many more less experienced pilots flying about? What's the accident rate for a 2,000 hour pilot compared to a 500 hour pilot? and why stop at putting duty limits to say 12 hours? Why not make it 6 hours? Wouldn't that be even more safe? All in the interest of saving lives...

Unnecessary or useless deaths and accidents are unacceptable, for sure, and there are always things that can be done to tweak and improve the system. I'm not sold on the (general social) viewpoint that anything that saves even one life is worthwhile. Is it worthwhile for society to go bankrupt spending billions to save one life? Is it worthwhile to put a hundred lives at risk to save one? The number one cause of death throughout human history...is birth. Birth virtually guarrantees that a person will die. It's a travesty that governments haven't done anything about such an unsafe situation! We should start an association to lobby the government about that...

In all seriousness, a few tweaks to the existing regs could probably help, but I imagine that just fully adhering to and properly overseeing/enforcing the existing regs would probably prevent many of the existing fatigue or duty time related accidents. Perhaps more insurance rate 'punishments' or accountability for accountable executives when an accident does occur would put more emphasis on careful hiring practices, training of employees, safer work practices, etc.

• Like 1