Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Garmin 296 Or Ipad Mini App?

The iPad mini with Foreflight works great for ferry flights, crappy weather, holding current CFS, canadian and US charts, etc. However I found it was not as user friendly (unwieldy?) when working in a smaller area with multiple drop points, drill job and moving geos for example. If you are working only in canada and don't mind paper charts I would say get the 296. Of course, an iPad mini is also smaller and lighter than a CFS and a bag full of maps for western Canada....

If you want free charts try Fltplan.com and its' app.

I would agree that the portable GPS is better for bush and charter work (I used a 396 and topo maps) but Foreflight is better for the complete package, Maps, Charts, CFS, weather and planning (especially if the company is paying, or get them to sign the tax paperwork saying its a requirement for your employment and claim it back from the feds!).

I would also agree with the premise buttons are better than touch screens

Horses for courses...