Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

A star droop stop ring

old

Yes.  Excessive flapping is one cause.  Corrosion and wear, fatigue.  I saw 2 examples and the parts stayed on the aircraft both times.  It's a commonly overlooked part, covered in grease and such.  Anytime you have access, they should be thoroughly cleaned and inspected.

They do take a beating though. I've seen a bent droop ring after a rollover, yet the stirrups were still doing their job. 

Most in service likely wont pass inspection as per the manuals. They are one of those parts that is neglected.

The cracked ones start at the corners where the ring is allowed to bang and wear into them. you generally will feel a sharp point of metal at this point. 

You didn't specify if it was 4 contact or Timken. They are different part numbers and the Timken has a machining mod available on them to prevent contact with the mast. 

• 8 months later...

Late,  but yes years ago I shut down in a fairly hard right crosswind in alberta on those old pine beetle contracts.  One of the brackets broke as it was winding down, made a terrible noise but luckily it was very slow and I got the rotor brake on.   The ring ended up all cockeyed md luckily no damage to the mast.   Was hard to find a part For AOG.