Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

How Do You Control Yaw In A Kmax/ Or Kamov

Next time you see a KMAX stop by.You want to know about yaw,there is no yaw in a balanced rotor system.The aircraft is turned in flight by leading with rudder then following with cyclic.In hover the pedals reduce pitch on the opposite rotor to turn around the axis of the airframe.As per the servo flaps(trim flaps on blades)they control all imputs to the rotor system except rudder which is linked through the mixing unit.The blades have a wood spar with composite trailing sections.Yes the wood is sitka spruce from the west coast.

Most Air crews are freindly if they are not busy come by and BS, we welcome visiters.Good Day

• 2 weeks later...

What I never understood about the K-Max is how it's possible that's the angle between the "two" rotors is not constant :wacko::blink: is it an effect of the yaw control ?

Any way to know where the K-Max are working right now ? last time I phone for this I had a strange reaction from the receiptionist :unsure:

Hey Ryan

I posted some pictures of the Kaman Husky a few months back in the gallery. That particular Husky is about a 1960 something. Quite a ride I must say, the coolest part of it is that monsterous exhaust pipe comming out the back. You get about 5 hours of dual training in the Husky and the right into the K-Max. All the training is done at the factory in Bloomfield Connecticut.

Heading south tomorrow

VX

Forgot to add a note about the questions on 'yaw' control. As already alluded to, yaw induced in a balanced rotor system (e.g. tandem, contra-rotating, or co-axial) is 'self-offsetting' except for deliberate yaw imbalances used to provide directional control.

System-induced yaw is, of course, a result of the torque produced by the power train. A better system may yet prove to be one which produces NO torque, such as with a tip-driven rotor.

To date, the 'cold-cycle' system using compressed air ducted out of the rotor tips, has proved the most efficacious, and is the only tip-driven system ever to be mass produced (France's Sud-Ouest Aviation 'Djinn' built in the late 1950's, a handful of examples of which are still flying). If this system is ever combined with an engine burning truly cheap fuel (hydrogen?) it could have greater impact on the industry than the turbine engine.