Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Real Instrument Time

Wondering if maybe some of you folks may be willing to point me in the right direction.

Finished my instrument rating in early spring, and between running tours this summer finished the ATP exams. Come early to late fall I would like to use the new digs. Anyone got any good ideas, wink, contacts. Really not into the ambulance thing. Is there much else out there without going international with CHC.

Cool site. Notice you guys rarely get off topic though. ;)

Thanks for the input and PM's, keep them comming.

Mag, do you like tomato's too?!

Twin, scary movies scare me!

Saturn, not much into the EMS thing. Have heard that there is actually very little to no actual IF stuff, the lads say alot of good night time but no cloud. I take it you are employed there so maybe you can shed some light on this for me.

How much IF are the gents at Helijet and Cougar getting. Is it all just "filed" IF or are these operators actually doing the real deal.

thanks again.

:)

HeliJet offers the most procedural IFR time you will find in Canada ,IMHO. CHC in Halifax and Cougar in YYT will offer you tonnes of IFR time in an offshore environment. All are excellent operations. I worked for Helijet and am currently back with CHC. Recently, on vacation in St. John's, we had the pleasure of seeing Cougar's operation and was very impressed with their facilities, aircraft and staff there.

If you have any amount of time and have the ATPL exams finished, there is almost a guaranteed spot for you somewhere in the CHC world as they are hiring a lot of folks these days with contracts popping up all over the globe.

Good luck

RH

Dude,

If you are looking for real, eye watering IFR with lots of 60 knot fog and minimums approaches, St. John's is the place to be or next best is Halifax. You are going to need about 3000 PIC helicopter, Night, IFR and an ATPL(H) to get started.

CHC Global is mostly IFR Offshore work but almost no IMC.

Dude,

If you are looking for real, eye watering IFR with lots of 60 knot fog and minimums approaches,  St. John's is the place to be or next best is Halifax.  You are going to need about 3000 PIC helicopter, Night, IFR and an ATPL(H) to get started.

CHC Global is mostly IFR Offshore work but almost no IMC.

Tens year of EMS in Ontario, I shot maybe ten approaches a year, and half those were still well above mins. You do get alot of straight and level dial time at night, if you're up North away from the lights. East Coast offshore, personally I fly 500 hours a year, and 150 of that is honest-to-goodness in the soup, and rarely a week goes by where we don't shoot a few mins approaches, depending on the season, and 100' and 1/4 ILSs and heading to one's alternate are commonplace. I wouldn't doubt if the St.John's boys double that. The Halifax EMS op gets lots of heavy actual as well, but I don't know their numbers. I know the Helijet guys I've flown with are pretty sharp IFR operators, and Rotorhead knows what he's talking about.

No sweat Bladestrike.

Putting both comments on the same post just reinforces the point that the East Coast is the place to be if one is looking to fly IFR. I spent two of my most enjoyable years flying out of Halifax and St. John's.

Since I've become addicted to the OETC all I get is a bit of staight and level IMC during the monsoon season. Oh well.

Hey Dude, I just completed my first year in As332 on the Grand Banks with;

TT 730 hrs

Actual IFR 375

150 MDA's offshore ????????

1200 - 900 RVR approach(s) at least a couple dozen

600 RVR approach .....3

East Coast is the place............don't forget , IFR generally means the local weather sucks as well for your APRES WORK activities !!!!!

Stay on the dials

:up: