Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Trying To Get To Canada

just1more

I am a Sgt in the British Army. I have been an aircraft technician for the past 7 years, working on Lynx Mk07, Mk09 and Gazelle helicopters. I am looking at getting my Canadian Aircraft Maintenance Engineer Licence, but am unsure of how to go about it. Also to see if my time on Aircraft counts towards these licences.

If any one has any information about the qualifications, or even some other places to look I would be very grateful.

cheers dave

I am a Sgt in the British Army. I have been an aircraft technician for the past 7 years, working on Lynx Mk07, Mk09 and Gazelle helicopters. I am looking at getting my Canadian Aircraft Maintenance Engineer Licence, but am unsure of how to go about it. Also to see if my time on Aircraft counts towards these licences.

If any one has any information about the qualifications, or even some other places to look I would be very grateful.

cheers dave

Check out http://www.tc.gc.ca/air/menu.htm (Their equivalent to the CAA)

Pretty helpful with any questions you have (I was trying to get my UK JAA stuff converted earlier this year).

As for your time on Aircraft you'd have to get clarification from them but they were prepared to count my time on G- Aircraft (All be it Civil so might be different for Millitary stuff).

If you've any more questions feel free to ask.

I am looking at getting my Canadian Aircraft Maintenance Engineer Licence,

Just curious as to why you're interested in coming over here to do maintenance. Don't worry, you're more than welcome. No one's gonna give you a hard time, the shortage of AME's is such that we could probably absorb another 100 AME's and it would'nt hurt one bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dave

I was in your position a couple of years ago, so this is what I had to do:

1. Obtain a letter from the OC stating my job role, dates of employment, type of aircraft worked on, and who my supervisors where (these names have to correspond to the names in your log book/task sheets). This met the 'experience' requirement for the 48 months less 6 months, as I had to complete 6 months civilian experience.

2. Produce a log book or list of tasks (can be printed from the TC website- ATA 100) showing what jobs you have completed while working as an aircraft technician in the REME, which had to be signed off my the supervisors listed in the OC letter. Transport canada has a sample list (ATA 100) which you must have completed 70% of the tasks listed to qualify for the 'skill' requirement. So, if you've only worked on turbine helicopters, you only then have to carry out 70% of the tasks applicable to turbine helicopters i.e. propellers, piston engines, avionics would not be applicable. Also, the aircraft you worked on must have a Canadian type certificate. Unfortunately, Lynx does not have a Canadian type certificate so Transport Canada will only recognise tasks carried out on Gazelle (AS 341).

3. Complete a Transport Canada approved/accepted basic training course. I could have contacted SEAE and tried to obtain my trade training syllabus and paid $400 for Transport Canada to review it. It wasn't a guarantee that TC would recognise the syllabus, and still meant I would need to complete the 3 TC technical exams. I decided to take a correspondance course through Thomson Education Direct called 'Aircraft Mechanics' which is an accepted TC course. It cost around $600, took approximately 3 months to complete (can all be done online) and gave me all the text books to prepare for the techical exams.

4. I took my Thomson Education Dirct 'Aircraft Mechanics' diploma to the nearest Transport Canada office and this then allowed me to attempt the 3 technical exams. The exams are tough. I followed the Transport Canada study guide (which is very vague) and just tried to learn the books inside out. The exams are $50 each, contain 90 questions, with 3 hours to complete. For the M1/M2 license the exams are the same: Standard practices, Airframe and Engines. The majority of the question are fixed wing related, so there's some new stuff to learn i.e. pressurisation systems for pressurised cabins.

5. Once I'd completed the 3 exams, a TC inspector reviewed my experience (OC letter) and skill (log book) requirement. He told me I met the requirement and was able to take the Regulatory exam (this can be taken when you meet the experience requirement less 6 months). In order to be licensed I then required the 6 months civilian experience (doesn't have to be in Canada) and a regulatory exam pass.

6. Finally, to sign maintenance releases on helicopters you're required to have completed a maintenance course on the relevant helicopter giving you an endorsement. Usually your employer will put you through this, but it is possible to pay for these courses yourself. For example I think the Bell 206 (Jetranger) airframe endorement is approximately $2000, and the Rolls Royce 250-C20 turbine is around $1000.

There's quite a bit of information to take in there. If you need anymore info I'll be happy to help you out.

As far as I am concerned, all canadian Ex-military guys should be put to ground zero and start with a training school like the rest of us AME'S and do the 2.5 yr apprenticeship. Simply put the majority of you know nothing relavent about looking after an aircraft ALONE!

No idea what the british Military is like for maitenance? With this being said anything is better then the canadian military.

No generalization, you should go fly or work on an aircraft that has been looked after buy ex-military people.

Transport needs to #### there #### together on this issue.

Here is an example

Telling the pilot to land at lunch time to carry out a 25 hr on a 212? Saw it this summer in Quebec. What kind of 25 hr gets done over lunch???

An EX-MILITARY inspection!!