Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Confined Area's

Lost

2pwrr, hey man welcome to the new site. I drive a 206,(Best helicopter ever built :punk: ) Do a good recci of the spot that'll give you most of your info, also take a note of your power setting as your circling the spot thats a good indication, aswell as should tell you where your wind is pick your best approach load up the disk early,and most important leave your self a way out case sh t goes wrong. If you don't like it land in a big spot where there won't be any issues kick one or two guys out and go in lighter. They'll thankyou for it later. Do the same coming out at the end of the day. The nice thing is the jetranger will tell you when its not happy. This is only my opinion so as hl56 says use your own best judgement and what you 've been taught. Get good habits early and stick with them. Play safe :up:

MH

From my forthcoming 206 book:

Departure

Note the N1 in a 2-foot hover and increase power until a 5-minute takeoff power limit is reached (Torque, N1 or TOT). The difference is your power margin (actually the difference between the minimum and maximum figures on the power curve).

N1 Margin (%) Takeoff

1 Cushion Creep

2 Shallow Climb

3 Steep Climb

4 Towering

5 Vertical

Arrival

From straight & level at 200 feet above the site at 40 kts, note N1 and increase power until a 5-minute takeoff power limit is reached (Torque, N1 or TOT). The difference is the margin.

N1 Margin (%) Approach/Landing

4-5 Running Landing

6 Zero Speed

7 Normal to low hover

8 Normal to high hover

9 Steep to high hover

10 Vertical Approach

N1 is used because it gives a more consistent reading

The usual checks before going into a clearing apply, as given by many above - do not, as mentioned, try to shoot for the trees, neither should you try to get out of a clearing by going round it to get translational lift - if you bank too much the lift vector reduces and the effects cancel each other out. Always do a vertical.

Phil

BTW - it's all very well saying "ask your instructor", but the quality of the answer depends on the quality of the instructor!

can i differ with you a bit albert ??

again it depends on the situation, but i do remember in training, b206 max gross wgt. heavy confined.

tried the usual t/o profile, and you could feel the blades just biting into translational lift at the same point you hit your go/no-go point.

an extra 10 feet is all that was needed, doing a t/o from the edge of the clearing and following the perimeter of the clearing gave you that extra 10-20 ft, translational lift, and the extra available tq

if the clearing is so small that the turn is tight i agree, but then you are probably a long way from translational lift -- how about corkscrewing for that extra percent or two if you are just shy of a vertical profile power ??

"if the clearing is so small that the turn is tight i agree, but then you are probably a long way from translational lift -- how about corkscrewing for that extra percent or two if you are just shy of a vertical profile power ??"

Corkscrewing????? What the ****? So......after your corkscrewing, how are you going to stop corkscrewing? When you hit the ground maybe.!!! Hmmmm, been flying for 15 years never corkscrewed and am still alive to talk about it! Maybe try to unload some weight, and vertical out with an appropriate load for the AC.

• Like 1

I meant to say "if the turn is too tight" - it was early morning and the fingers hadn't had their caffeine. I've got out of clearings with a gentle turn myself - it's no worse than avoiding an obstacle, but it can be tempting to rely on it to get loads in and out, and what do you do if the engine quits? At least with a vertical you have a chance of containg the mess rather than splattering yourself all over the landscape with all that momentum! How about windshear at the top of the trees?

On the other hand, at the top of a vertical, your collective is high, etc etc

Lots to think about - probably the subject of a safety column!

phil