Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Nvg Video

Guest sharky

Cole,

The cockpit is bathed in an NVG floodlight(s), kind of a greeny/blue colour. Normal instrument lighting is left dimmed. Any instruments that emit light, such as the caution panel or a modern glass screen must have a NVG filter placed over it, again it's kind of a greeny/blue piece of plactic.

If any white light were present, the goggles would 'wash out'; the greeny image you'd normally see through the googles would diminsh to a haze. NVGs work on the principle of amplifying ambient light sources. Less light is better, as thats what they are designed for.

The company I used to spray for did NVG spraying a while back, but changes in customer requirements kind of made night/NVG spraying unapproved (plus one unit was stolen...$15 000). Post 9/11 has made getting NVG stuff across the border very difficult as well.

The aircraft still had the NVG floodlights in them, and I must say they were easier on the naked eye than normal cockpit lighting for regular night flying.

If your friend want's to give NVG a try during night flying, I say no biggie as long as you have dual controls and someone without goggles is with you, and their eyes are adjusted to night VFR flying. Don't do anything near the ground without proper training though. A few problems with older generation NVG was narrow field of view and lack of depth perception, which made low flying hazardous, even in military operations. Newer generation NVG have worked on some of these issues, but are very cost-prohibitive for general/recreational use, or aren't available for civilian use yet.

It would be more fun driving your car out on a backroad with no lights on than doing plain old 'upper air flying' IMO.

...Kinda what I figured. I wouldnt try anything new alone in an AC unless I was absolutely sure of myself. I have NO idea where he got them, I think they're surplus or something to that effect. VERY fun to play with at night.

You are right, they are really limited, almost no depth at all, and kinda blinding if theres any brightness.

Cole B)

The set-up for NVG's is pretty simple:

1. Get Transport Canada to let you operate on NVG's (good luck with that)...

2. Get the goggles from ITT (which no one in Canada can do without Congressional approval and a security assessment - Again, good luck with that. As well, there is HUGE wait because all inventory is going to the US military)

3. Modify your cockpit (about $250,000) to make it NVG compatible and get it approved by TC.

4. Re-write your OPS manual and SOP's - if you have SOP's

5. Train your pilots - If you can find a qualified NVG training guy...

etc....

Cole, don't even think about goofing around with gogles in an aircraft. Even if you had the appropriate NVG's - which I can't imagine how you got ahold of a set, you are setting yourself up to die - let alone what would happen if Transport Canada got wind of it...

I'm not really in the loop on this one (so please don't flame me too much if I'm wrong) but I found this on the bottom of a page advertising AN/AVS-6 Gen III goggles.

"Most SPI night vision products are subject to the International Trade in Arms Regulations, administered by the US department of state. Products that fall into this classification may be shipped anywhere in the continental United States of America and Canada only . All other destinations must be approved by the Department of State. Please contact the US Department of State for assistance"

Then again, just because they say they'll ship to Canada doesn't mean they will, right? Regulations and laws change all the time, and lotsa folks out there are less than speedy about updating their websites.

Let's not forget STARS does NVG work now. I looked into this a bit and yes there are some hoops but all somewhat manageable to get through.

The downside is the initial cost of $10,000 us a set, training costs (and yes there is a company in Alberta that can train) and of course currency requirements. Look at CBAAC 0251 on the TC website and it tells you what is needed.

I think this is going to happen in the future and wouldn't it be cool. :shock:

post-1783-1142459317_thumb.jpgWe (IP on CF bell 412 Griffon) use AN/AVS 9 Gen III NVGs and they are pretty good for night ops. The important thing with NVG ops is proper training, and of course aircraft certification. In the Griffon, all our lights (except emergency lights) are NVG compliant, but if a red fire handle is illuminated while on goggles, it makes seeing anything through the goggles all but impossible. There are many limitations and hazards asscoiated with NVG use, but once trained and experienced, operational capabilities are far enhanced. You can do just about anthing you can do in the day. Longlining might be a bit tricky, but it can be done. We conduct regular slung load training at night, and with a bit of practise, its not too bad. Of course we have a flight engineer to help us with guidance (probably not practical $$ for commercial ops), so we do not have to hang our head out the side of the aircraft. We also have a radalt to help with height. Probably one of the biggest headaches is the extra weight you have on your head. Many neck problems with high time NVG flyers. I think its only a matter of time before you see many other operators making use of this technology. I found a website that sold the same NVGs we have for $5000.00, so they are available. As much fun as it is to land atop an 8000 ft mountain in the dead of night, I still prefer to do it in the day. :D

I think its only a matter of time before you see many other operators making use of this technology.

Time is relative I guess... Can't see TC giving the go ahead for night time commercial ops for a while. Which one of them is going to say it is OK? :blink:

Can you say, "responsibility"? :shock: