Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Student Enthusiasm/Interaction

Winnie

You're operating from the assumption that the motivation has been adequate, AR, and my guess, based upon all of the prior input, is that you are incorrect. It's all too easy to take the head in the sand attitude but, until we take accountability for our results, we'll get less than we'd like, as Winnie seems to have. The students have to stand accountable to themselves for their results as much as the trainers for theirs. B)

Yeah, DW, that seems to be so!

Although with the new crowd starting, it will enlighten me to bring joy and happiness out to the crowd, and everyone knows anyway that the helicopter program is better than the "stuck wing" side of things. Almost all of the fixed wing students seems to want to go for an introride! :up: Maybe I can still lure them over to the "dark side". :shock:

To all

These are all valuable inputs, and I'll take them into consideration.

Hopefully, I'll be doing some self study for a new job after XMAS, and that will be a job NOT involving teaching!! :)

I'm always a bit saddened to hear people talk about getting out of teaching, Win. I know that some of the most fulfilling years I've spent have been those teaching. It can also be terribly frustrating, and I sense some of that in your posts here. When we give our absolute best, and it seems like p***ing in the wind, it can be all too easy to throw in the towel. If you do pack it in, I hope you have some cherishable memories to go along with those less so. Good luck! :up: B)

i agree with downwash, winnie... it sounds from your posts that you're the kind if IP that's needed... i know how frustrating it gets too when you give all you got and you just can't seem to motivate a select few... :(

i do hope you'll remember the students though, that made you feel that this was all worthwhile... the ones who shake your hand after that 1st solo or the ones who come through the door with the ink still wet after passing the final check ride... for each one who makes you shake your head wondering why you do this, think of the ones who make you know why you do!!! :up:

Thanks for kind words both of you (twinstar_ca and Downwash!)

It's not that I don't enjoy teaching, however, the dreams are for bigger machines and more diverse work (although I'm sure the addage still applies here, that the Grass always LOOKS greener on the other side...) with the possibility to work something bigger. I have always dreamt of flying 212 or SK61's and hoipefully that will not be a pipe dream. I do hope that someday into the future, I may actually come back into instruction, as part time, and I do have some experience as Chief Flight Instructor now, which must account for something? <_< . Well I actually got some new students here now, with another one coming, so the pace actually seems to be picking up slightly, while the stuck wing side seems to be tricklig down more and more :shock: , maybe the helicopters will prevail one day?

I know anyways, that If I had my days back, I would go exactly the same route (with a couple of minor differences that is!!)

:up:

• 1 month later...

Hmmm.... Students not giving 100% eh? Intermixing with fixed wing folk will do that to ya. Tell you what Winnie, You let me come and do my conversion with you for free, or say... 80% off, and I'll study so hard your head'll spin. How does that sound?