Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Heli Logging Video

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Star...Astar...get it? :lol: Aw, h*ll...never mind. I am my own best entertainment. :D

TQN and the rest of you folks here are a real hoot. I'd spend more time here but Its a bit risky - my wife thinks I filing out month-end reports - if she knew I was hangin' around with a bunch of pilot-types I'd be grounded! :up:

Is the grapple as efficient as just having chokers hooked up to a bunch of predetermined logs? Looks like it could take a little bit of work to get a good haul.

Yes Nolan, the grapple is just as, if not more efficient (for us). Your assessment of more work is correct, the pilot is also his own rigger and quality control guy all wrapped up in one . It requires knowledge of wood types and calculating weights accurately. when you are building your turn in smaller wood, you may put up to 9 to 12 pieces into a grapple.....try and keep that together <_< . The loss only is in payload, the grapple and hydraulic lines weigh up to 3,500 lbs for a 250' line. For a crane with an experienced driver, a 60 min cycle can move 300,000 to 700,000 lbs/hr depending on distance and wood size, so the weight loss is not that big a deal, on a smaller machine with a non grapple experienced pilot, the results would be questionable if it would be worth it......???

Yes Nolan, the grapple is just as, if not more efficient (for us). Your assessment of more work is correct, the pilot is also his own rigger and quality control guy all wrapped up in one . It requires knowledge of wood types and calculating weights accurately. when you are building your turn in smaller wood, you may put up to 9 to 12 pieces into a grapple.....try and keep that together <_< . The loss only is in payload, the grapple and hydraulic lines weigh up to 3,500 lbs for a 250' line. For a crane with an experienced driver, a 60 min cycle can move 300,000 to 700,000 lbs/hr depending on distance and wood size, so the weight loss is not that big a deal, on a smaller machine with a non grapple experienced pilot, the results would be questionable if it would be worth it......???

I have never seen a grapple in action in person but I find it hard to see how it could be faster than the one arm swing it takes a good rigger to hook the chocker up to the line.

also, do the skycrane guys fly w/o a co-pilot?

Here is my little vid. nothing compared to that mini documentary though :)

I have never seen a grapple in action in person but I find it hard to see how it could be faster than the one arm swing it takes a good rigger to hook the chocker up to the line.

also, do the skycrane guys fly w/o a co-pilot?

Nice little clip of the 214 marc....it is still one of my favorite a/c. Your point is taken, when we have grabbed a quick single or natural bonus, we are already leaving (left?) while perhaps that rigger is still trying to clear, our turn time is just as quick as any other logging aircraft. The grapple really shines on very steep terrain which poses more safety issues for ground crew.....plus we never have to run chokers back up the hill! So you see, the are seconds gained and lost on both sides of the equation. The S64 requires a two pilot flight crew (ATPL), we have used right seat only co-pilots, but they are still endorsed and capable of flying the aircraft, but not all in our system are logging pilots (fire Guys/girls)..... ;)

Nice little clip of the 214 marc....it is still one of my favorite a/c. Your point is taken, when we have grabbed a quick single or natural bonus, we are already leaving (left?) while perhaps that rigger is still trying to clear, our turn time is just as quick as any other logging aircraft. The grapple really shines on very steep terrain which poses more safety issues for ground crew.....plus we never have to run chokers back up the hill! So you see, the are seconds gained and lost on both sides of the equation. The S64 requires a two pilot flight crew (ATPL), we have used right seat only co-pilots, but they are still endorsed and capable of flying the aircraft, but not all in our system are logging pilots (fire Guys/girls)..... ;)

Your the man helilog56, hows the old crane saying go : "............. :punk: