Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Buying A Helmet

Hey guys,

After reading through some threads here, I've decided that buying a flight helmet and possibly a flight suit is just a smart thing to do. May even save my life one day.

I don't have my license yet, and I won't for a few years time but I'm just planning ahead. I don't know anything about them and would like if someone could give me some information on the different features that they come with and why you would want one thing opposed to the other. Ex: Dual visors opposed to one. Or even a website URL that describes them a little more. I'm gonna want something that's obviously good but not at an extreme price because I'll already be in debt after school don't need to make it worse. Is $1200-1500 pretty reasonable?

Thanks guys.

HA!

They actually have one with david clarks in them!

Could you imagine!~ HeliFly shows up for his first company checkride, gets into the helicopter, puts on helmet. You could completely blow every portion of the ride and he wouldnt notice because hes looking at your helmet.

Hey Cole,

If I were you I wouldn't go spending a whole bunch of money on a new helmet. There are a lot of good used helmets out there for three to four hundred dollars. You'll even see them for sale on this forum now and again. The reason I say buy used is two fold. First of all you'll likely need the money and secondly once you get working in the industry you'll get a chance to see what other guys are wearing and you can then make a more educated decision on the helmet you actually want.

Just my thoughts!!!

Hey Cole,

If I were you I wouldn't go spending a whole bunch of money on a new helmet. There are a lot of good used helmets out there for three to four hundred dollars. You'll even see them for sale on this forum now and again. The reason I say buy used is two fold. First of all you'll likely need the money and secondly once you get working in the industry you'll get a chance to see what other guys are wearing and you can then make a more educated decision on the helmet you actually want.

Just my thoughts!!!

I don't think Cole is looking for a helmet. I am. However you do make a good point. No point spending $1500 when you can spend $300. However, the point of this thread was suppose to educate me on the different types of helmets and what they have to offer. I've read in some threads here that have fancy lingo saying what the helmets have. I was hoping someone could describe them.

If you need some examples I can find some.

So now that the joking has stoped, is there anybody actually willing to teach me and anyone else who is wondering about the different types of helmets and what the different features mean?

I'm looking too and have worn helmets for years...however looking for something better. I'm thinking that trying the different ones on would be a good idea. However, from what I get out of the forums and what people are saying, it's customer support that seems to be the deciding factor, and what people are talking about the most. Seems to me that all the popular helmets are good with no major complaints. My short list is the Gallet and the HGU-84.