Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Helicopter Door Falls Off In Flight

Guest graunch1
Now, that is a little crazy.

Here's the video.

This is why helicopters (and planes) should be taped off to the public when there on show. People can't screw things up resulting in things like this!

I saw that originally on BBC. It looks to me like a EH101. By the size of the door possibly a side emergency door on the fuselage? I think it is a little presumptuous to blame this on show visitors. Even if someone had partially opened the door on the ground, a proper walk-around would have found it. Whenever you have a static display the preflight is always far more thorough than on a closed ramp at least when I was with a/c at shows that what we did ;) . You always had to assume that wuffos would try to poke and prod things on your a/c even if you have a rope barrier. Possiblly the door was mis-rigged or not closed properly by the crew.

I think it is a little presumptuous to blame this on show visitors. Even if someone had partially opened the door on the ground, a proper walk-around would have found it.

That is very true. Never thought of it like that. I guess I can be narrowminded sometimes.

Either way, I'm glad no one was seriously hurt.

theres been a few videos surfacing on the net in the last few days.

there is a twinstar that takes off from a beach, crashes into the ocean, a 206 with what appears to be a tail rotor issue, spiralling down into a church parking lot, over top lots of people and apparently, no one was in danger :shock: