Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

How To Get Started In This Industry?

tender

here's my 2 cents...

There seems to be Way more Alberta companies hiring and putting to work low time guys. Reason for this is they have contracts that are oil and gas and have low minimums if any at all. These are primarly in Northern Alberta... Grande Prairie north, so my advise would be to call a few of these companies...askwhere they would recommend you train and then go see them. Theres 3 I can think of that collectivly hired 12 guys! and to my knowledge they are all working (flying). Give them a cal....dont be shy and for god sake dont be a picky bugger. Take what you can get and make it work...

The 2 pennies ran out....HOpe it helps

dcheli

1. Make sure you have a job that can support your expenses before begining the flying adventure.

2. Keep that job and don't get to anxious to quit too soon.

3. Spend as much effort as you can getting a flying job.

4. Be extremely patient and be in the right place at the right time.

5. Be persistant.

Good luck. :up:

Thats probably the best real world advice I have heard in a long long time. That holds true for almost any job. A lot of times it dosnt matter so much what you know, but WHO you know too.... So I'll add to Borats list.....

Make lots of good contacts!

The simple solution is to become an engineer.. You will be hired right out of college, usually at the company of YOUR chosing....spend summers outdoors, winters indoors....and after a seemingly short apprenticeship, make more money than most pilots....You'll be around helicopters 24/7, even get to fly them.....So tell me again why you want to be a pilot and starve for 2-6 yrs? Makes no sense to me. But hey?....your choice......

You paint a slightly rosy picture but I do second you on the idea!

I have been an apprentice for a year. I started my job the day right after i graduated school. But it did take a few road trips and a lot of resume throwing.

I did spend all summer outside, but did watch the machine all day, see the pilots off to their dinner, and proceed to work helping the engineer until midnight frequently.

spent alot of the winter indoors, but alot out in the rain and snow too!

I think flying helicopters is a lifetime dream for alot of people. So it comes down to more than money.

If a guy wants to fly, go for it!

I think the majority of the people flying arent doing it for the money... I know im not, im leaving a job where im doing quite well to chase a job that may or may not be there after spending thousands risking pretty much everything to be able to look for work. How can anyone do that if they dont have a passion for it?

So wheres the chart with the right place and right time on it? -_-

Cheers

I think the majority of the people flying arent doing it for the money... I know im not, im leaving a job where im doing quite well to chase a job that may or may not be there after spending thousands risking pretty much everything to be able to look for work. How can anyone do that if they dont have a passion for it?

So wheres the chart with the right place and right time on it? -_-

Cheers

ain't that the truth!! :up:

I think the money issue is what you deem as a good income....After a couple years in the industry there is no problem to make 60K a year....that to me is pretty good living. I guess I dont live in the city and enjoy a small town so it makes a difference. Starting out is 30K usually...but there is the odd one who pays Sh** and others who pay well....I guess the question is...What are you willing to sacrifice to have a fun challenging rewarding and stressful job?

DC