Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

How To Get Started In This Industry?

tender

How does anyone get started in this Industry? How do you select where to take your training? What are realistic expectations for the first couple years (Income)? These are all questions that I've been asking myself for the past few weeks. I am in my mid 20s, looked into training about 4 years ago in Ontario but the funds we're simply not available. I have since then invested to make sure I had enough to get the training, however now, more and more questions keep coming up; which is why I am now turning to all you seasoned pilots to help shed some light on this dream career!

I am considering two schools south of Montreal, QC area to be able to keep my current job and train part time however am wondering if I should just pack up now and move to BC to take the courses. How do I choose the school? Locations? Job offerings?

Once I have my CPL and 100 hours under my belt, I get from other postings that I am not interesting to employer, therefore what should I expect my first few years to be? Will I make enough to live on simply being a pilot or will I need to work 2 or 3 jobs to make ends meet? Where should I look for jobs at that point?

Any tips or expirences you would have to share, I would appreciate what everyone, no matter how many hours you currently have. Every pilot has to go through this however the answers to these questions when asking potential schools seem vague and biased in order to sale me on their school, I would rather get the opinions of the ones who have been through this.

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Hey Tender,

Alot of the questions you asked have been asked here before and if you use the search function you will find alot of answers and opinions. If you dig you can definitely find some useful information.

I'm pretty new to the game myself. I finished my training in Apr/07 and was very lucky to find a job with what I and many consider to be a very good company. I haven't gotten many hours in yet, but most will tell you that you won't get any hours at all in your first year. I know some guys who got on at the same time as me who are doing pretty well and already racking in some hours. There's a bit of luck involved but alot of it is up to you.

Finding the first job can be really tough and getting from 100 to 1000 hours is probably the biggest hurdle that new pilots face (IMHO anyway). If can get to 1000 hours in 3 years I will be stoked. Some do it sooner, some later.

I don't know much about the schools out east. I know some schools out west here have a better reputation than others, but so much of it comes down to the individual (I think I've heard that before??!!). You won't get a job based on what school you trained at alone. You've got to get out there and meet people. Phoning/mailing/emailing is not good enough.

If you're having a tough time choosing the school, go and pay them a visit. Talk to people who've trained there, talk to active pilots (best source of info) and just be weary that all schools are businesses and many will tell you what you want to hear (sometimes far from the truth!!)

First few years will be scratchy. I think low time pilots can make anywhere from $1200 to $3000 a month, often only for the busy season. Again, some will do better, some worse (like no pay at all!!).

Ok, this is getting long...bottom line, do your research, ask questions, talk to people, hear the good and the bad. If after having heard all sides of the story you find yourself still wanting to do it...DO IT!!

And enjoy the ride. :punk:

Cheers,

Coastal

• 1 month later...

If I could start it all over again..... I would try to go to a formal school.

I'm 32 and starting my training now. I am a single dad with 2 little girls and have car payments and all that stuff so I have to work full time and train on the weekends. I wish I had started this straight out of high school!!! but some times in life it takes a while to figure out just what you really want and how to get it.

I am taking my training in chunks. My first step is to get my PPL, them move on to CPL and so on. I am doing the take out a loan and pay it off method once cert at a time. Its going to take me a while to get to where I finally want to be but well worth the wait and effort in the long run.

Mike

Coastal is right on the mark. :punk:

Here a couple of other things to think about. As a past instructor, I always found that the students who fully applied themselves to flight school did the best. That is to say that those who could afford to quit their days jobs and treat flight school like their new "full-time" job came out ahead in the end. Flight school is not rocket science but there is no doubt it is an easier task if you don't have to worry about being at work for your shift right after your flight or ground school class. Please don't get me wrong, it is completely possible to get through it while holding down a job, but if you have the luxury of choosing not to work for the 5 or so months it will take you to get your license then you will be doing yourself many favors in the end. Note; Luxury is the key word.

The only other thing I would suggest is to consider training near where you someday hope to have a flying job. This is not always possible and it certainly is not a guaranteed way of getting work in that area but it should help out a little bit if you are familiar with the general area and terrain. Some people will probably discount this thought but it makes sense to me to become familiar with the terrain, weather, operators, and job opportunities in the area while you train. On weekends off you can do "mini" road trips out to various companies and introduce yourself. You never know when they might need a new pilot and if they have already met you, you will be one step ahead of the game. You can also take the opportunity to ask other operational pilots how they got their start and what they would suggest for you to try. Almost always a good source of advice.

Good luck with your decision. It is a big one so don't rush into it and don't forget to have fun too.

go coastal

Both cole and coastal hit the nail on the head! Like I said.... if I could do it all over again...

But two kids later... well the cards fall as they may, at least I get child support instead of paying it ha ha ha!

I may be training on the weekends but every night is spent reading, taking notes and the occasional toying around with flight sim, which I think helps BTW.

If you can go to school... do it! If you are saving to go to school... read what you can, the more you know the better off you are. Reading about "how to fly" is a lot different then actually flying. but knowing the rules and regs or theory behind things wont ever hurt.

Mike

The simple solution is to become an engineer.. You will be hired right out of college, usually at the company of YOUR chosing....spend summers outdoors, winters indoors....and after a seemingly short apprenticeship, make more money than most pilots....You'll be around helicopters 24/7, even get to fly them.....So tell me again why you want to be a pilot and starve for 2-6 yrs? Makes no sense to me. But hey?....your choice......

The simple solution is to become an engineer.. You will be hired right out of college, usually at the company of YOUR chosing....spend summers outdoors, winters indoors....and after a seemingly short apprenticeship, make more money than most pilots....You'll be around helicopters 24/7, even get to fly them.....So tell me again why you want to be a pilot and starve for 2-6 yrs? Makes no sense to me. But hey?....your choice......

I have a HUGE amount of respect for engineers...

BUT, I can't imagine being one myself. I come home at the end of the day and immediately feel bad for the engineer who has to brave either an onslaught of crazed bugs or a frigid wind cold enough to numb the fingers in about 2 seconds. Not to mention the dark nights or the cocky pilot they have to deal with all the time. Man, you guys are amazing!

To all engineers; you will always have my deepest respect BUT I truly can't figure out what motivates you to do what you do. Thank you very much for doing it though and please keep doing it as well as you do.

gc

p.s. Ya, I know... :off:

well put haha :punk: you wouldn't believe how different it is from knocking on doors saying you are a low time pilot to knocking on doors saying you are an apprentice.. They welcome you with open arms, give you a tour of the company and treat you like a human being. I don't know how many places I went to as a low timer and couldn't get past the front door.

sorry :off:

Once your done training plan on doing road trips, as others have said: Phone/email/fax will get you nowhere. If I could do it again, I would go through canadian or one of the schools which hire from their students to increase my chances at that first flying job. Watch out for companies that take advantage of low timers there are a few out there. Be prepared to work long hours in harsh environments doing crap jobs for your first few years. Remember any experience in the industry is good experience and it will pay off in the long run.

fw

Watch out for companies that take advantage of low timers there are a few out there. Be prepared to work long hours in harsh environments doing crap jobs for your first few years. Remember any experience in the industry is good experience and it will pay off in the long run.

fw

When the time comes I already plan to take what ever I can get where ever I can get it. Beggers cant be choosers all the time, so long as it puts a little food on the table and some wood on the fire I'll be fine

Mike