Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Maintenance Tracking Software

wrenched

Hi y'all.

I'd like to see some responses on what your views are on maintenance tracking software.

Which system do you prefer, ease of operation, ease of seeing the info you want, tieing into inventory, accounting, etc.

I've seen a few and realize that there is good and bad with most of them, but would like a smattering of opinions.

I also would be real interested how many operations out there have tried W_n__r and deep sixed it. (not sure if I'm allowed to shout that name out loud)

Thanks

Wrenched

Hi y'all.

I'd like to see some responses on what your views are on maintenance tracking software.

Which system do you prefer, ease of operation, ease of seeing the info you want, tieing into inventory, accounting, etc.

I've seen a few and realize that there is good and bad with most of them, but would like a smattering of opinions.

I also would be real interested how many operations out there have tried W_n__r and deep sixed it. (not sure if I'm allowed to shout that name out loud)

Thanks

Wrenched

I've used a few. WinAir would be my least favorite.....I would love to deep six it - too expensive and not intuitive, easy to read or user friendly in anyway - plus way,way too much paper. AMS is fairly decent. Airborne Data Systems is okay. I'm very interested in Skybooks but haven't had a chance to try it out.

I'd like to know who else has ditched WinAir as well and what they switched to.

We use C.A.L.M. Pretty good. It is very "databasey" so not really intuitive. (wouldn't it be great if you could just click directly on an outstanding item in the tracking report and update it, instead of having to go back and search for the item).

Maintenance reports are easy to read though.

We roll with Compucrap, I mean Computrak. I'm fairly sure my dog could design a more user friendly program. Seems like everything isn't where it should be. Like Marc said, wouldn't it be a novel idea to be able to just update something by clicking on it and editing it.

How sad that a critical modern day tool like a maintenance tracking program has to be endured when its design and usage are that flawed. It really should be the worthy of being the foundation of your maintenance dept. Lame.

That being said - has anyone had any experience with Skybooks?

Tried MxManager from Conklin/DeDecker. Not real user friendly, too much button pushing and it doesn't make sense. (at least mechainc sense)

Still using a homegrown excel spreadsheet, works well, easy to update. If there's a problem, I caused it and can fix it. Usually....

Skybooks should be real interesting. From what I hear Bell may require it for warranty on parts from new ships. Not sure if it's that's true or not.

Red

I had a course on SaSims last year and we are planning on using it for our computerized maintenance planning course at SAIT. Good by to Aim and hello to this Swedish program.

It is very very powerful and was created by a Swedish Helicopter Engineer originally to do his RIN calculations so it is helicopter friendly but not just limited to rotary a/c. The set-up is quite complicated at first but becomes more user-friendly as you start to understand all the tasks it can carry out. It will track all the usual items plus handle your inventory, repair costs-labour and parts, flight crew hours, pax reports and do the camp dishes.

One problem that I can see is that it requires connection to one of their servers that hold all your data. If you are in the bush you would need a internet connection of some sort to add or retrieve info.

Other Downside - it is expensive but they are trying to crack the NA market so deals might be available

The keeping of your data on their server is an issue with me. Especially at the price you pay for some of these programs.

The friendliest and quickest for info at your fingertips has got to be the good old excel sheet.

If only you could use that platform for the tracking and tie it in with some of the other programs for inventory, purchasing, etc.

Anyone have success with AMS?

We use the advanced version of AMS aircraft maintenance and inventory manager. I only worked with CALM and AMS so far, so I cannot compare with other systems.

AMS is user friendly, and the database is located in one of your computers (company server or even a laptop if you are running a one-man-show !). You can set up any cycle, either written in the log-book, or calculated from existing cycles or air time, using an easy interface.

The reports are generated on Microsoft Word, so you can transfer them from the base to anybody by e-mail. Speaking about reports, the status reports are not my preferred, (too many pages), and if you choose for example “sort by time remaining, hours”, the calendar or cycle items will come on the beginning of the report, without being sorted at all ! I reported that to AMS, and hope they will correct this. Another problem so far is that you can’t set 2 limits of the same nature on one item. (You can set for example 2000 hours and 5000 cycles and 120 months on the same item, but not inspection 2000 hrs, and O/H 3000 hrs.)

You can set a different alert for all the items or inspections individually. Once you reach the alert threshold (either air time, any cycle or calendar time remaining), they will appear in a very useful “forecast list”, also in Word format.

You have other possibilities, like follow the AD’s, keep the weight and balance files, create work orders…

If you want some training, you can either go to AMS, or do it on line, at your convenience, and pay by the hour.

Inventory Manager is also nice to use.

And, whatever the system you use, don’t forget to save your data regularly !! :o:o

Speaking about reports, the status reports are not my preferred, (too many pages), and if you choose for example “sort by time remaining, hours”, the calendar or cycle items will come on the beginning of the report, without being sorted at all !

Ya Computrak does that too. Drives me nuts. Two different reports would be better. One of hourly limits, and one with calendar times remaining. Maybe someone will read this and create a super program :up:

• Like 1