Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Bell 206 Lubrication

Lunchbox

For lubrication requirements of the Tail Rotor Driveshaft splined Adapters (also for Hydropack and Tach Gens), Bell lists Aeroshell 23C or Royco 22MS as the prefered lubricant, with Thixogrease and Plastilube #3 as approved alternates.

Just curious, has anyone found that one of these materials is better or worse than the others, or are they all pretty much the same?

Thixo is alright. The one downside i've noticed to date is the way it acts in tempurature extremes. This spring we went through a little cold snap and i noticed that the short shaft would be solid. (No linear movement..) during the morning walk around. This wasn't too much of a concern because as soon as the engine got up to temp after the first start it would regain its ability to slide.

Conversly at high temps it becomes too viscous, and any of the splines not covered by the adaptors loose their coating rather quickly.

So for myself, the jury is still out on Thixo, but at $90.00 a tube i would be tempted to stick with plasti lube #3.

On the Bell 206, the installation instructions for the hydropak in chapter 29-13, and for the driveshafting installation instructions in chapter 65-20 call for C-452, which is Anti-Seize.

That's what I use with no issues whatsoever.

On the Bell 206, the installation instructions for the hydropak in chapter 29-13, and for the driveshafting installation instructions in chapter 65-20 call for C-452, which is Anti-Seize.

That's what I use with no issues whatsoever.

Ch. 12 Servicing has been changed. I asked Bell for clarification and they recommend Ch. 12 to take precedence, and said they will eventually update the installation instructions to reflect what is in Ch. 12.

It was mentioned that Thixolube was $90 a tube. That must be from an aviation supplier. I have purchased it from a dealer for less than $10 a tube in Calgary. Exact same tube with MIL Spec on it. I believe the manufacturer lists the dealers on their website.

www.maryninternational.com/Power_Up/Power_Up_Thixogrease.html for the product

Dealers Locations is www.maryninternational.com/dealers/

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently the chaps in Australia have different rules and operators are using the thixogrease in the Bell 206 m/r heads instead of mobil 28 or aeroshell 22 and have had no more brinelling problems with the yokes and Bell is looking into this as an alternative. Back on topic plastilube can be purchased with or without moly and some feel that the straight plastilube is best.

• 6 months later...
For lubrication requirements of the Tail Rotor Driveshaft splined Adapters (also for Hydropack and Tach Gens), Bell lists Aeroshell 23C or Royco 22MS as the prefered lubricant, with Thixogrease and Plastilube #3 as approved alternates.

Just curious, has anyone found that one of these materials is better or worse than the others, or are they all pretty much the same?

Bell PSE Light will authorize the use of Thixo grease on all splines. I have had a considerable mount of trouble with the main rotor head yoke spindle bearings, the mobile 28 does cut it.

As a result I have attained authorization from BHT PSE Light with the blessing of TC to use Thixo in the main rotor head, this includes the trunnion bearings as well. You must follow the instructions from BHT to the letter and their placard requirements. Keep in mind that the Thixo has a cold weather limitation of only -20 C. However. there is a Thixo Synthetic being tested to -40C.

There are companies in the warmer climates that have converted their whole fleet to Thixo grease with the blessing of BHT and their regulatory body.