Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Bell 206 Type Course

Grumpy

It's all related to the Type Certificate. Within the same Type Certificate, the same model is covered. If it is a derivative with differences (within the same Type Certificate), then "Differences Training" is required. Differences Training can be covered in house, as long as it's documented, and the syllabus is written and covers the differences adequately. There may be a bit of subjectivity involved with what to cover in the differences training, so it likely should be developed by someone knowledgeable on the actual difference, and ensure a thorough training syllabus. Don't forget to develop a written exam with the training syllabus to enable verification of understanding the training that was undertaken.

Just spoke with a Transport Inspector regarding this 'differences course' and he also stated since they are on the same TC, and it is basically a stretched out B model, no additional course is required, but ensure you have the appropriate powerplant type course, as pointed out by lunchbox and donnybrook.

However, even though the 407 is on the same type certificate, it still requires a seperate course

This discussion has occurred many times over the years and is still not black or white. I would like to know how many engineers currently releasing 206L series actually have a longranger course and a c-28/30 course. I have worked for several companies and I haven't met one person with the courses. now how about the whole 204/205/212 ratings and courses mess. If you have 212 rating, can you sign out 205 (assuming you've taken T53 course) and can you sign out different dash number T53's with say the 204 airframe and engine course?

And the TC Inspector I spoke with (a helicopter knowledgeable one) would likely disagree with the "its just a stretched out 206B". The fuel system has differences, the powertrain suspension system (nodamatics) is different, transmission, synchronized elevator, hmmm, a few differences. Regardless, a new type course is not required, but covering the differences is. This is going to be interesting for the next while when TC starts checking up on certifications made by the newer AME's on similar types with no differences training, or the appropriate engine courses.

Anyways, it is up to us as AME's to be knowledgable regarding the equipment we maintain, and taking

ongoing training to gain and maintain that knowledge is necessary as professional AME's.

A new (not so new?) can of worms?

Now we're getting into the issue that has also shown it's face before, regarding the different opinions/interpretations between TC regions and inspectors. 'It's just a stretched 206B' was his quote, I agree there are SEVERAL differences between the aircraft, however, if they don't recognize/approve the 'differences' course, short of going in for a complete 206L type course, how else can you meet the (un)requirement?

I agree that in house training is important to understand the aircraft you're certifying, but where are the black and white legal requirements for the differences training? :unsure:

And the TC Inspector I spoke with (a helicopter knowledgeable one) would likely disagree with the "its just a stretched out 206B".

Did he or didn't he disagree? I think this is part of the problem. Talk to different people at TC, and you'll get different answers. When I asked TC directly about this issue, I was told it related to the type certificate, and I was directed to the FAA website to determine what was or wasn't a seperate type certificate. No mention whatsoever of differences courses.

In the specific case of the 206B/206L, I would suspect most courses nowadays include both (I know the one in Dawson does). If not, does a 206L differences course actually exist somewhere?

This is going to be interesting for the next while when TC starts checking up on certifications made by the newer AME's on similar types with no differences training, or the appropriate engine courses.

From the CARs and AN links you provided, the requirements for differences courses were rather vague. It briefly talked about course content, but no specifics about when they are required. If anything, it seems to me they put the onus on the AMO to make that decision, in relation to ACAs. I'm not arguing against differences courses (I have an ECL AS355 differences course myself), just playing devils advocate a bit here. Where does TC say a differences course is REQUIRED, and where are the details stating when such a course is required? A question I will be asking TC at my next opportunity.

If nothing else, it would be in the AMOs interest to provide differences training, if/when the insurance lawyers come knocking. It's in the AMEs interest as well, since the insurance lawyers will come knocking on his/her door as well.