Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

205 Dual Hydraulic Conversion

Skeeterswatter

They didn't all have cross-swords. By regulation they were supposed to have it, but it was wartime and "certain liberties" are allowed. There was all manner of things on the nose including nothing. Ours had a skull, which was the insignia of our unit which was known as the "Headhunters". There was a lot of imagination went into the mounting of the door guns also and some "hot-rodding" went into the operation of those same guns. ALL sorts of "games" went on. :D

We've all had "one of those days" also........you'll have some more like those again in the future.......hang in there!.

there were 10 Air america 204B's. all were civillian spec. 8 of the ten survived the war, and were sold to a broker in the states. most of those ended up in canada. my current company bought 2 of them ( verified by ser. # ) in the late 70's from a company in iceland. at leat two of the 8 are still registered in canada and are owned by Great Slave and Delta. If memory serves me, G.S. has two and Delta one, cnd reg. TNP A few may be still in canada, but some ended up back in the US. the web site where i found this info is currently down at the moment or I could supply exact Sn's and Registratrations. of the ones i know that ended up in Canada, all had experienced major battle damage and various wrecks while in S.E. Asia....but the history of all were very detailed as to the type and cause of damage, and the repairs to each. dry reading, but interesting. especially the ones that I'd worked on in the past and had no idea about.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Air America a/c came from varied sources and countries and weren't all battle damaged. A lot came out of Australia, the US and from Gereenlandair in Iceland. The old Austin Airways got 13 HS 748's at "rock bottom prices" that were ex-Air America also. Yellowhead has a 204 that operated for the LA County Fire Dept for eons and then was sold to Yellowhead. Campbell also has another that came here by way of Alaska and Quasar. So they came from all over and weren't all R/W either.

Though this has nothing to do with hydraulic conversions, maybe this is the website that arctic_front was talking about; I bookmarked it a long time ago. It is indeed pretty dry but interesting if you've got the time. BTW, I'm LOVIN' your conversation about the 204-205s, particularly where Air America is concerned. You never cease to amaze me, Cap. :)

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:stL-7...D-439-713&hl=en

TQN ----- the UH's saved my butt too many times and kept flying when they shouldn't have been able to. I'm here today because of that a/c and like any person that did the same thing for me......they hold a very special place in my heart. Don't be "amazed......'cause they're my girlfriends and I had to hurt them badly on many occasions, but they all made sure that I "sat a good meal" back at Base on many occasions a "lifetime" ago..

TQN to Cap :wub: Don't care what you say; I'm amazed at the tiniest of details that you remember. I can't even remember where I put my car keys on most days! Those helicopters were indeed special. Forced to do things they weren't built to do...and then some. I'm in love with them and I've never even seen nor been in one! Ha! I have two books recently read to thank for that... and your stories, of course. Always a pleasure.

Cap's memory, while prodigious, is probably as fallible as those of the rest of us, TQN - right, Cap? He's just old enough to have more to remember than you young folks. ;)

The Yellowhead 204 from the LA County F.D. is one of their two. The other is one of the self-same ex-Air America GVEG, a sister ship to Delta's VEX (at one time, anyway) and Great Slave's VEL. B)

The old girl is still my favorite bird, especially with the -13 engine. Of the 20-odd still active in Canada, I've flown about 75% of them starting with Okie, then DP, Shirley, Delta and my final resting place. :D

Though this has nothing to do with hydraulic conversions, maybe this is the website that arctic_front was talking about; I bookmarked it a long time ago. It is indeed pretty dry but interesting if you've got the time. BTW, I'm LOVIN' your conversation about the 204-205s, particularly where Air America is concerned. You never cease to amaze me, Cap. :)

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:stL-7...D-439-713&hl=en

Yup, TQN, that's the site. I was lucky enough to have worked on at least three of the listed machines. some still had 'mysterious' round patches in a few places.....mind you, that was back in the 80's....they might have had the skins replaced by now.

TQN ----- Downwash is correct about yours truly and my memory. I did remember this though......Downwash forgot to "keep you in the loop". He mentioned the -13 engine that some folks put in their 204's. They originally came with a less powerful, but original -11 engine. The former was the original engine for the 205 and so, if you like, they did a little "hot-rodding" by putting the 205 engine in the 204. So from now on, if you see something like "204C" instead of 204B, then you'll automaticlly know that it has a 205 engine in it......and the slang term for it is a "204 1/2". You're doing a lot of reading on all this and you're into some other info also, so it was probably a good idea to keep you "in the know" until you're done all your research. :)

Arctic_Front----ya there were a lot like that around eons ago, but after all this time those patches should all be gone.

AF: I knew that was the site you meant the second I saw your post. It's killer on the eyes, but one day I actually read EVERY SINGLE WORD crammed in that document. If you print it out, it's easier on the eyeballs than reading it all on screen. Fascinating stuff. Hoping to tie with tail numbers and/or incidents somewhere down the road...just out of curiosity...because I have nothing better to do in my spare time :)

Cap: There's so much commotion going on on this Forum that I wouldn't expect ANYONE to be able to keep up with my antics, questions or agenda :P . Besides, no pressuring Downwash. It's his call! And about those souped-up engines; the guys could've used that little extra power before SEA vs. after! Anyhoo, the Military Channel just showed my fav episode: Air Power: Hueys in Vietnam again a couple nights ago. I've seen it a number of times, but was so excited to see it again that hubby actually popped up and put a blank VHS in for me to record! Right after that, was the Air Power: Apache and Blackhawk helicopters show. Was in awe of improvements made to the battle r/w since the Huey, how striking the newer ones are and how much uncle would've loved all the power, versatility and the new gadgets and gizmos, bells and whistles. :up: I like to think all r/w pilots get to fly THOSE in the great beyond!

Downwash: Hey. :wub::)