Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

205 Dual Hydraulic Conversion

Skeeterswatter

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, SKU. That's all I need: One more Web site to get lost on for days on end. My family will love you. :D

Well, she's still pretty, isn't she? And I love her sunny disposition. I've never seen one that's not Army green or Air America's colors. Makes quite a difference when they're dressed up!

24,000+ hours. Geez. If helicopters could talk, imagine what she'd say about what she's seen and the characters that have driven her! Makes me sad yet happy. :) And I'm so glad she's still flying!!!

Thanks for pointing me in that direction...

She gets all that "in spades", but likes to work, so she likes carrying a load.......makes her fly smoother and she just "purrrrs" then. It would be extremely difficult to find a place where she'd be more appreciated or treated better. "Certain" people who visit this site are also some of the ones responsible for that.

Hopefully, one of the conversion gurus will answer your question, Blackmac. (That certainly wouldn't be me!) :)

After I saw Yellowhead's 204, I started looking for pictures of Delta Helicopter's and Great Slave's 204s. I saw Great Slave's on their website, but couldn't tell if it's black or navy blue. Never did find a pic of Delta's 204. Just curious to see what they look like now. And in searching, I ran across a Web site with an interesting little section on UH-1 hybrids if anyone's interested:

http://www.gruntonline.com/US_Forces/US_He.../us_helos10.htm

Blackmac -------that's a "Roger" sir......and I had the good fortune to fly them all. Loved every minute on those a/c, except for all the entries that had to be made in the Tech Log each night and that was the pilot's job because the engineer didn't have the daily figures that were needed......and you gave your calcualtor a "work-out" also. Once you started that a/c, you could've taken the EGT and N1 guages and thrown them out the window because seldom, if ever, were they a factor after start-up in normal operations. :up:

TQN ------Great Slave's 204's are what I'll call a dark "Royal Blue" on the bottom half of the fuselage and a lighter blue on the top half......and smart looking a/c. By the way also, all black a/c ain't allowed and there have been only two special dispensations granted for all black a/c in the States......a Cessna 337 belonging to a large funeral home corporation and to Hugh Hefner for a DC-9 that he once used for a personal jet (with a white bunny on the vertical fin :rolleyes: ). Delta's are red on the bottom half and white on the top half......unless they've changed recently. Rely on Downwash for further details, although I've flown one of them also.

Good accurate info on that site too. What's not understood sometimes is that there were a ton of "Helicopter Assault Companies" that were not part of the Air Cav Division. The Air Cav gets most of the attention because of general ignorance and that's furthered by Hollywood and others. Part of that reason is also because the Air Cav was a Division, made up of many other Air Cav Regiments, which was again broken down into Squadrons. The 1st Air Cav Division was basically a total complete Army unto itself, with helicopters, tanks, infantry and every single item that a normal, self-contained "Army" would have in any other nation such as Canada, including boats. That number of personnel reached as high as 16,000+, which is well above the size of a Division in most nations. So when one thinks of the Air Cav, one must also realize that they weren't just about helicopters or "Hueys"........and they weren't the only Army helicopter outfit in 'Nam'. With what that site had to say in some detail, I thought that maybe it was about time to dispel some misconceptions about my 'ol alma mater. They got the press because they were large enough to be EVERYWHERE and were seen more often as a result. Seldom mentioned are he Marine boys and they "held their own" in comparison to the Air Cav.

No black aircraft? That's curious. Why?

As for all the 1st Cav information; very interesting. I'll save it for May when I can find my starting point with the 1st Cav. Huge, huge outfit with many divisions or regiments (if that's the right term). Your insight always makes sense once I get into something, so as always, I appreciate! (We're probably boring everyone else to tears, however.) :rolleyes:

Just wanted to clarify that so that you have some understanding of the situation if you find out that uncle was not in the 1st Air Cav. It could be and lots weren't, but that doesn't jive with "Hollywood speak", so one hears little or nothing of any of the other outfits.