Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

When Is It Ok To Be A Cowboy?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest plumber
1. "Where am I gonna go WHEN (not if) the stove quits?" This tends to curtail any Cowboy impulses I get.

2. I'd give my life for MY wife or daughter, but NOT for yours. Sorry.

3. Seatbelts are mandatory. This includes stretchers.

4. Aircraft limits are not "optional".

5. "Your Honour, we did everything reasonably possible to protect the patient during this evacuation. Also, it was the opinion of the 1st responders on the scene at the time that if the patient was not evacuated IMMEDIATELY he most certainly would have passed away. If I am guilty of anything beyond exercising due care and attention while trying to save the patient's life I must accept the consequences of my actions."

6. It's a bit shocking how much we confuse good luck with good planning. It's a self-reinforcing illusion, until the inevitable occurs. I had the 'good luck' to dodge the Reaper while learning this (years ago, before aviation), but it was a close thing.

Take good care,

Dick Mitten

Well Dick it is nice to know there are people out there (other than you) who would risk their lifes to help your wife and daughter.

Good planning is easier said than done in a moments notice.

I guess you aren't signing up for your volunteer fire dept any time soon?

Plumber,

Back when I was a climbing guide, mtn rescue ranger, ambulance attendent and professional ski patroller the 1st rule of emergency response was to not add yourself to the casualty list. Also, I wrote "give my life for my wife and daughter", not "risk my life".

You're right about spur of the moment decision making. That's where professional training is so important.

Cheers,

Dick

Guest plumber
Plumber,

Back when I was a climbing guide, mtn rescue ranger, ambulance attendent and professional ski patroller the 1st rule of emergency response was to not add yourself to the casualty list. Also, I wrote "give my life", not "risk my life".

Cheers,

Dick

Does none of what you did go without risk? Or am I missing something?

Plumber,

Sorry if I've been a bit obtuse... Let me try again.

My point about the wife and kid is simply this: the level of risk that I'll accept for my own family far outweighs the level of risk I'll accept professionally, in a rescue or any other situation. I'm actually quite risk tolerant, but I take seriously my responsibilites to my family, passengers, employer and the general public, so I'm not a Cowboy.

Here's an example: A faller takes a bad hit from his saw high up on a heli-block. I'd have no hesitation to take him off the hill in a Stokes litter across the back seat of a Jetbox if: 1. There was no better machine available; 2. The seatbelts were securing the litter; 3. The faller (or whoever) was gonna die if the flight didn't happen i.e. major arterial bleeding; and 4. The flight wasn't gonna make things worse for the patient i.e. die choking on vomit enroute. But I wouldn't hover-load the litter on the hill 'cuz then the possibilites of things going pear-shaped get way outta control and more lives, including my own, are at risk.

And no, I'm not on the volunteer fire dept. When I'm home the #1 priority is spending time with my beautiful wife and child. They live without me for so much of the year, they deserve all the time I can give them when I'm home. If at some point I have time for volunteer work it'll be with the Squamish Search & Rescue, where some of my skills and experience can be put to the best effect.

Enuf.

Dick

Plumber,

Sorry if I've been a bit obtuse... Let me try again.

My point about the wife and kid is simply this: the level of risk that I'll accept for my own family far outweighs the level of risk I'll accept professionally, in a rescue or any other situation. I'm actually quite risk tolerant, but I take seriously my responsibilites to my family, passengers, employer and the general public, so I'm not a Cowboy.

Here's an example: A faller takes a bad hit from his saw high up on a heli-block. I'd have no hesitation to take him off the hill in a Stokes litter across the back seat of a Jetbox if: 1. There was no better machine available; 2. The seatbelts were securing the litter; 3. The faller (or whoever) was gonna die if the flight didn't happen i.e. major arterial bleeding; and 4. The flight wasn't gonna make things worse for the patient i.e. die choking on vomit enroute. But I wouldn't hover-load the litter on the hill 'cuz then the possibilites of things going pear-shaped get way outta control and more lives, including my own, are at risk.

And no, I'm not on the volunteer fire dept. When I'm home the #1 priority is spending time with my beautiful wife and child. They live without me for so much of the year, they deserve all the time I can give them when I'm home. If at some point I have time for volunteer work it'll be with the Squamish Search & Rescue, where some of my skills and experience can be put to the best effect.

Enuf.

Dick

I would wrench for you any day of the week Dick. You sound like an absolute Gentleman and an all around good guy. A very rare commodity these days.

John Nixon

Ah shucks, John. That's kind of you to say.

But this is just my on-line personality. In the meat world I'm actually quite abusive, abrasive, rude and disrespectful. Hence the name. :)

Dick

Guest Bullet Remington
I would wrench for you any day of the week Dick. You sound like an absolute Gentleman and an all around good guy. A very rare commodity these days.

John Nixon

What Splitty said - IF I was still wrenching. The Obtuse shyte I can cure PDQ!!! LOL After a week you'd be sleeping with one eye open!!!! :lol::lol::lol: