Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ralph Hancock

I am sure a few of the older guys on here will remember Ralph who had his hangar out at Delta Airpark next to Don Crowe.

Hancock, Ralph Edward

ARRIVAL: Jan. 14, 1937 DEPARTURE: Mar. 13, 2011

The calm after the storm came when our beloved husband and father departed on March 13, 2011 following a lengthy illness that hindered his quality of life. Ralph is now at peace and we as a family find great comfort in that thought as he is now free to "fly". Predeceased by his mother Alice and brothers Jim and Claire. Ralph is survived by his loving wife of 47 years, Verna; daughters Gina and Carla; grandsons Austen and Jarad; sisters Thelma, Marjorie and Merle; brother in law Ron; as well as nieces nephews and many dear friends. Ralph was a well respected pilot, engineer and businessman who was a pioneer in the Aviation community since 1960. He loved the water and spent many joyous hours boating, scuba diving, ocean and fly fishing. His love of life and adventure as well as his unique sense of humour will forever be cherished and fondly remembered by all those who knew him. In true pilot form an Alternatives Event/Celebration of Life will be held in Ralphs hanger at Delta Air Park 4189 104 Street in Delta on April 2, 2011 at 2pm. A special thank you to all those at Delta View Enrichment Center and Delta Hospice, for your kindness, care and respect shown to Ralph throughout his journey with you. Should friends desire, donations in memory of Ralph may be made to the Alzheimers Society of BC.

Gerry

Grasshopper and alouette;

Good to see that you guys are still on the go.

Don't know if you remember Ron Tekano but he was Ralph's brother-in-law. Just so sad thinking of the hand Ralph was dealt.

Remember the days in Norman Wells, Gerry. It seems a lifetime ago when you were beating the skies with the Alouette 11. Remember Rocky Rochfort and the Gazelle? Sad to hear of his recent passing. Haven't seen or heard of Dave (Hemmaroid) in years.

Terry;

Other than the years at Rivers, haven't seen you since the last time I was out with Cap on the 205.

Hope all is well with both of you.

Regards

Gerry Whalen

Grasshopper and alouette;

Good to see that you guys are still on the go.

Don't know if you remember Ron Tekano but he was Ralph's brother-in-law. Just so sad thinking of the hand Ralph was dealt.

Remember the days in Norman Wells, Gerry. It seems a lifetime ago when you were beating the skies with the Alouette 11. Remember Rocky Rochfort and the Gazelle? Sad to hear of his recent passing. Haven't seen or heard of Dave (Hemmaroid) in years.

Terry;

Other than the years at Rivers, haven't seen you since the last time I was out with Cap on the 205.

Hope all is well with both of you.

Regards

Gerry Whalen

Dave(hemmaroid)is living in Winnipeg somewhere

Good to hear from you guys! My age is definetely beginning to show -- I arrived in Canada in 1972 -- not 1971... The rest is accurate though re Ralph.

Now for the rest: Nice to hear from you Gerry W. And I certainly do remember the good old days in NW on the Alouette2. Remember all the S*+T we caused and the fun we had -- you with your 55T.

Hav'nt heard from Dave Ackroid for at least 20 odd years. Glad to hear he seems well and in Winnipeg...

Sorry to hear about Rocky. I'm so out of touch with the industry in Canada really. Just a few guys I'm in touch with.

It is true, I am in Africa, flying a B3 in Guinea at present and really enjoying being in Africa. Had a few interesting ferries -- the last all the way up from SA to Guinea along the West Coast of Africa.

I'm new to this, but glad to make a little contact.

I do not know any of the other guys here by name, but good luck to you all.

Gerry Nel

I remember Ralph from Calgary before he moved west. He had a number of helicopters that he owned and leased. I did a lot of avionics work for him in those days. The most memorable client of his that I recalled was Wild Bill who was living in Hay River at the time and had an A-II that I believe was owned by Ralph.

The other was the day that he ran out of gas in a Cessna 337 on his way back from BC just west of Calgary and was initially found by the traffic helicopter of the day which was a B47 with Freddy Wiskar flying, then the guys at Canwest picked him and his family up with their gazelle. Luckily with no injuries.

Too bad as it sounds like his last years were not very good.