Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Restricted Heli License To Dual Pilot

So the Helicopter MOT Doctor folks have seen fit that I am no longer fit to fly by myself. Well at 60 this stuff starts to happen. Been flying since 73 but not in a dual pilot environment except for Instructing many years ago and being a training pilot. Anybody else in this position? And any suggestions. I spent almost all my career in the Bush and am already to old to go IFR. Maybe just hang it up although another medical has been done and maybe the MOT folks will relent. Doubtful though. One thing, It sure was fantastic for almost 40 years. The best job in the world.

So the Helicopter MOT Doctor folks have seen fit that I am no longer fit to fly by myself. Well at 60 this stuff starts to happen. Been flying since 73 but not in a dual pilot environment except for Instructing many years ago and being a training pilot. Anybody else in this position? And any suggestions. I spent almost all my career in the Bush and am already to old to go IFR. Maybe just hang it up although another medical has been done and maybe the MOT folks will relent. Doubtful though. One thing, It sure was fantastic for almost 40 years. The best job in the world.

Wow 40 years in this amazing industry. Well all considering you are probably well able to retire and have a serious amount of money in the bank and a good retirement plan. helijet is looking for cojos! Best of luck!

P5

Can I be so bold to inquire as to the medical issue

Can I be so bold to inquire as to the medical issue

Guys!

You know it comes down to to the effort. Anybody who has devoted 40 years to this industry, should have an free of charge outlet and should not have to consult a public forum for advice as to what to do! A body to fight to keep them flying. TC medicals are based on 1 doctors diagnosis another doctor may say something completely differnt. Look at Jan Elby ( sorry to use names) This guys is a an expample of someone who went into the 70's.(may still b e going) Be it a pilots assocation well established, that he or she can approach for advice... This is just an other example of a person who has by virtue of years a wealth of safety / indusrty knowledge that could benefit the industry as a whole. We lose again! No standardization no benefit.

Personally with a newborn at the age of 45 I am on the freedom 85 program now. Who can afford to retire! Not me! No benefits! no reasonable retiorement plan= crap management. Will it ever end. \the ride is great but life is so short

2 Cents!

p5

Get a lawyer see where that goes if you don"t have serious health issues should be no reason that you cannot continue to fly.

Pay for lawyer! Where is the dignity in that ? As group of supposed folk who undertake heroic tasks on occasion.. Funny how all we can say is call a lawyer.. Too bad be cant act a group with some cohesivness!

P5

I had the same restriction (Multi Crew) a few years ago for a blood disorder, after a couple years and documented evidence the medication had no side effect I got my class 1 back unrestricted. Contact Dr Danforth in Vancouver, he's the top TC medical doctor, if there is any chance for you he will make it happen.

• 2 weeks later...

I am 64 and I had my medical pulled in July but I have been for the last 9 months doing what they wanted me to do to get my lic back. They looked at me and compared me to a 35 year old who is just starting and I should be done after 40 years, guess what I am not done and I am not down and out so in June I go for my medical and my doctor is ready for me I just have to do a ECG evry 6 months.