Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Lots Of Companies Hiring

dimit

I don't see how the "jumping ship" math adds up: Say there are 50 vacancies to be filled today, and 40 of these are where folks have recently switched employers. Those ship jumpers must have recently filled 40 vacancies with their new employers, thereby creating the current vacancies with the old employers. So there were recent vacancies and those in effect became current vacancies. Looks like a lot of vacancies. And why are these companies hiring in the fall instead of saving their money and waiting for the spring? Well jeeze, either they have work for the winter or they're worried about being able to hire enough folks in the spring. Looks like demand for workers to me. I wonder why?

AH1: You've seen through my thinly veiled, pathetic attempt to curry favour with the overlords. No doubt beatings and a summary dismissal are in my immediate future. So sad...

Cheers!

DM

• Like 6

Guest plumber

Hi Dick. I have one question. If a company lays their employees off in the winter and said employee finds another job, would that be considered jumping ship?

I think myself no, but it all depends on how you were compensated and treated. Hope your sweatheart is doing better.

I don't see how the "jumping ship" math adds up: Say there are 50 vacancies to be filled today, and 40 of these are where folks have recently switched employers. Those ship jumpers must have recently filled 40 vacancies with their new employers, thereby creating the current vacancies with the old employers. So there were recent vacancies and those in effect became current vacancies. Looks like a lot of vacancies. And why are these companies hiring in the fall instead of saving their money and waiting for the spring? Well jeeze, either they have work for the winter or they're worried about being able to hire enough folks in the spring. Looks like demand for workers to me. I wonder why?

AH1: You've seen through my thinly veiled, pathetic attempt to curry favour with the overlords. No doubt beatings and a summary dismissal are in my immediate future. So sad...

Cheers!

DM

My guess is that its a combination of many things.But it is good news to see the openings, lets hope this will assist the industry in a positive way! Would be nice to see more companies taking up the fight to bring more low timers up the ladder.

As for the comments about Layoffs. Well, if the company is not willing to keep ya employed all year and build the costs into the big picture..Loyalty out the window I say.

Don't think there is a shortage of skilled med- high time pilots out there, but more a case of these folks being a little more particular of who they work for and going oversease for better money and better rotations.

Definately a shortage of engineers.

p5

Guest 47yrLowTimer

I fail to see how anyone can blame you for looking for work elsewhere; When they are not in a position to provide you with an income.

Loyalty is not the issue, the bills have to get paid.

• Like 1