Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ag Spraying

JLR

Thanks for the replies.

I know about Lakeland for the the actual spray applicator license.

I was wondering if there is anyone in Canada that does an actual helicopter crop dusting course and just teaches you the basics of crop dusting including some flight training. I found some courses in the states and Australia but was hoping to stay in the country!

Course...whats that...have done agspraying with helo for 12 years..every pilot has a diferent style...watch for wires and deadheads...don't fly into the sun or you won't be around long and when the sun goes below the horizon call it a day...you won't see a dead tree or wire without the light..as mentioned every spray pilot will tell you something else..listen and live...kind of like that vietnam movie were every new guy had to listen to a million diferent stories on what to do and what not to do to stay alive...well listen up...and it never gets to be a routine..something always tells you to wake up and there is always the usuall...holly sh$#t..didn't see that one...at least 2 or 3 times a season :shock:

• Like 1

DGP thanks for the advice

I just want to learn the basics and that's why I am looking for a course.I don't just want to go out there and start. I guess having someone show me their tricks and having a mentor would definatly make me feel more comfortable and extra training can never be a bad thing right ?

There is a few places in the states, but if I could find someone in the country I would be game for that

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know too many people in Canada who spray who have taken formal training in it. I met a couple of guys who took a course a couple of decades ago but you are going to need at least 20 hours of training to be safe and proficient. A pretty pricey proposition. Even if you get training for spray you are going to enter the real world of spray and will learn a lot in a hurry. Flying low level has its obvious level of risk as every spray pilot has had a close call with a snag or other obstacle. The main thing is to start slow and not worry about production right away. It will also take a while to learn how to do safe torque turns. A bad downwind turn can be pretty scary. Like you said, find an experienced pilot to mentor and that could help a lot. Unfortunately , like most other missions in this industry , it is on the job training. Go slow, keep your scan going, and never be complacent. The moment you let your guard down is when something bites you in the butt.