Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ditching

I started diving recreationally when I was young.... came very, very close to choosing a career as a commercial diver as I loved it so much. Got the flying bug then that went out the window.Having a lot of time and experience under water.....want to ask where I would chose between terra firma or H2O ???!!!!

On the topic of ditching (I don't want to get off the theme of the post but just let me say I thought Jim's post about everything being safer was pretty funny, as I believe it was intended to be) I personally think I would take the water on the shoreline. This is all pretty subjective and there is some luck involved, but I'm pretty confident I could end up with a gentle landing on the water with an intact airframe. I would tell everyone onboard to release their buckles the second we settle in the water and get ready to egress... Maybe even have everyone open their doors on short-short final. My thoughts on going into the trees are that all bets are off and now you're hoping for an upright landing and no blade through the cockpit. I have gone into the trees before with no engine and believe me it's exciting. I'm for the water!

HV

Humour is subjective I guess, each to their own.......

I don't always agree with your posts, but always appreciate your opinion! I am leaning towards the water, it's interesting that you took the trees once though and are still here to post. Perhaps the density of the trees might be the deciding factor.... decisions, decisions?????