Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Any Countries Recognize Cdn License At Par?

So that is what this world has come to now? Google exists, therefor you are not allowed to ask questions anymore… Ever… If you want to know something, that perhaps someone with plenty of industry experience can paraphrase for you in a short sentence or paragraph, on an open forum full of people supposedly sharing industry information… Too bad. Google it phukwad.

Awesome work team.

• Like 1

Sticks down guys !

I read most of these posts and for the most part they seem to be tongue in cheek to me.

Bottom line: You need to hold a valid license for the country where the aircraft you're flying is registered, regardless of where in the world it is operating. Of course, if you're a Canadian who wants to fly a Canadian registered aircraft outside of the country, you may very well have to obtain a work visa as well...

In some countries, converting your canadian license to their local license can be more or less a formality. Language proficiency is usually the biggest hurdle. For example, I've been told it's pretty easy to convert to a Brazilian license, as long as you speak Portuguese. I've also been told that once you have the Brazilian license, getting a work visa down there is quite easy.

kiefk is that for real? What about work visa? Are Canadians able to obtain work visas in Europe? I've got fixed-wing and heli experience and credentials and am looking globally so this would be interesting to know!

Actually I'm going to ask a question related to this post, as well as to the recent lead for PHI that Skidz had posted. I was wondering why one needed to have US citizenship or passport when working for a US company outside of US territory? Or was that just a recruiter requirement? PHI requirements from the posted job said only "Must be qualified to fly within the Holy Cities of Mecca and Medina in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia" Anyone know what that entails? Have any expat women met this qualification?

Since I can't seem to find a helicopter job in Canada (though it's interesting to read in another thread that a Canadian company is openly recruiting foreign pilots) I'm working on my US ATPL-H rating - an add on to my US ATPL-A. I was hoping to use that to market myself towards international ops, however I am not fortunate enough to have US work rights or I would be gone to Alaska in a heartbeat. I sure hope that not having US work rights wouldn't preclude me from flying N-reg aircraft perating outside of the US?

Insight from those experienced in these matters appreciated.

Thanks!

tin lizzie

The validation process means that your foreign licence is accepted for a period while you study for the proper one. In Europe, if it's granted at all (they don't like doing it) it's for one year only. There are thirteen exams for the CPL(H) and 14 for the ATP - even if you are exempt formal training* (if you have an ATP with 1000 hours) you still have to take them all. Otherwise, you need to sign on with an approved school.

*Because of the dumb questions you would be very unwise to do this. TC's questions are quite straightforward in comparison.

Then, of course, there is immigration. Not sure about Europe but Canadians might get an easier ride in UK - after all, they are allowed to vote there. There is only one company that does any serious bush work, PDG helicopters in Inverness. One or two others do pipeline/power line stuff. Hardly any lifting otherwise, zero on mediums.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the extra intel... just curious about what you meant by this: "*Because of the dumb questions you would be very unwise to do this. TC's questions are quite straightforward in comparison." Which dumb questions are you referring to? Mine? or CAA?

By formal training, I presume you mean that with an ATPL and 1000 hours you can go ahead and self-study, then challenge the exams. Correct?

Thanks for the additional intel...

PS are you planning on updating the Canadian text anytime soon? :) I decided to focus on the FAA ATPL as a priority since I only need the exams and a ride to qualify for the rating, which would then make me marketable. Still need to fill in a few qualifications for the TC one so if there's an updated text with some refreshed exam questions I would be tempted to purchase... better yet if there were an app like ASA has for iOS, Android AND Windows... :)

Cheers,

tin lizzie

kiefk is that for real? What about work visa? Are Canadians able to obtain work visas in Europe? I've got fixed-wing and heli experience and credentials and am looking globally so this would be interesting to know!

Actually I'm going to ask a question related to this post, as well as to the recent lead for PHI that Skidz had posted. I was wondering why one needed to have US citizenship or passport when working for a US company outside of US territory? Or was that just a recruiter requirement? PHI requirements from the posted job said only "Must be qualified to fly within the Holy Cities of Mecca and Medina in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia" Anyone know what that entails? Have any expat women met this qualification?

Since I can't seem to find a helicopter job in Canada (though it's interesting to read in another thread that a Canadian company is openly recruiting foreign pilots) I'm working on my US ATPL-H rating - an add on to my US ATPL-A. I was hoping to use that to market myself towards international ops, however I am not fortunate enough to have US work rights or I would be gone to Alaska in a heartbeat. I sure hope that not having US work rights wouldn't preclude me from flying N-reg aircraft perating outside of the US?

Insight from those experienced in these matters appreciated.

Thanks!

tin lizzie

Yes the Saudi Job, word on the street is that you MUST CONVERT TO ISLAM . A few guys did in order to qualify. No piont in applying as mecca and the holy sights are a no go for Christians without hard to get permission.. The best way to get black listed is to say you are athiest… No joke.

I know a couple guys who've done the JAA exams. They say it's like the questions are deliberately phrased in the most convoluted fashion to make it as difficult as possible to understand what they're actually asking... (like when P5 explains ICAO regs on these forums :P ...) I've been told that challenging the exams without proper preparation (ie many many hours in a classroom at an accredited flight school) is just about a guarantee of failure...