Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Canadian Helicopter Pilots Association

This is not an attempt to form a union. It is intended to be a vehicle through which holders of Canadian helicopter pilots licenses can debate issues important to them, reach a consensus on these issues and take whatever action the group determines to be appropriate.

The internet is a fantastic tool for this sort of thing. Essentially, a meeting of the CHPA has begun and it can be continued indefinitely. The posts are an accurate record of proceedings. No minutes need be recorded. There seems to be no need for fees, an executive or a constitution. All members enjoy an equal status. While the legitimacy of any points of view advanced by CHPA "members" is contingent on them being bona fide helicopter pilots, it is equally important that all helicopter pilots participate regardless of their opinions. Even Helicopter Jim.

The Canadian Helicopter Pilots Association Forum

The president of the Helicopter Association of Canada, the same person who wrote this to the Immigration Minister

The Canadian helicopter industry depends on highly skilled seasonal foreign workers to supplement the growing shortage of experienced helicopter pilots in Canada.

is now starting the Canadian Helicopter Pilot Association ?

Should be a great success. I expect Canadian helicopter pilots to join in droves.

I have a question. You did mention that one needed to be a bona fide helicopter pilot to join. That is clear. But do you have to be a Canadian helicopter pilot or can TFW helicopter pilots join as well ?

Guest driver81

The president of the Helicopter Association of Canada, the same person who wrote this to the Immigration Minister

is now starting the Canadian Helicopter Pilot Association ?

Should be a great success. I expect Canadian helicopter pilots to join in droves.

I have a question. You did mention that one needed to be a bona fide helicopter pilot to join. That is clear. But do you have to be a Canadian helicopter pilot or can TFW helicopter pilots join as well ?

I think it is a different Fred. Fred Jones president of HAC wrote the letter.

I agree about including engineers. They have a lousy lot compared to drivers. I'm a bit doubtful that this is going to work but I'll keep my pessimism in the cockpit...and here for now and see where this goes.

Fred, I don't think license numbers should be displayed for the time being.

What about the engineers? I think an association without them is half a loaf.

W.

When we started HEPAC, the goal was to include both pilots and engineers. That actually made people even more suspicious as to our motives (ie fear of unions).

A professional association is meant to group people of the same profession. If you group multiple professions in the same body, you look a lot more like something representing multiple trades working in the same industry (ie union).

I agree AME's need representation too, but if you're going to do this right, the association needs to be specific to professional helicopter pilots (CPLH & ATPLH) if it is to be taken seriously by other stakeholders.

Yes, helicopter pilots and their engineers work closely together, and certain concerns we have in common, but for the most part, they are very specific to each profession.

That's my 2 bits on the subject...

• Like 1