Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Jet Fuel

HV ------P & W DOES HAVE written and published guidelines on this sunject and I know they are available "online". If memory serves me correctly, the limit is in the area of 1000hrs, with a checking of igniters taking place at certain intervals. It can go past 1000hrs, but at that point there has to be a total flush of the fuel system for some reason + a few other things done. All the above will do is get you into trouble somehow, so check with the P & W site for confirmation, but I'm definitely "in the ball park" someplace with my info. If youcan't find it, get back to me because I have it someplace and I'll dig for it. Also, JP-8 plays a role in there someplace also (JP-5 and JP-8 are both 98% kerosene, but the difference is in the make-up ofthe added chemicals in both....JP-8 being the better of the two for Man and machine).

****There's something called JP-7 floating around in the odd place worldwide and it's extremely corrosive (that's what they burnt in the SR-71).......so DON"T TOUCH!-------use the vodka instead. :lol:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your best bet on type of fuel to burn in a turbine, always use the manufacturers recommendations otherwise you might find yourself and company in big trouble.

Most flight manuals will refer to the engine M&O.

Anytime an engine is not burning the proper fuel, it shows up at o/h and could well cost you a new turbine.

Should you have an engine (s) failure due to improper fuel, any damage to the helicopter and components would invalidate the C of A and insurance, including liability.

Remember Risk Management.

Don

Blackmac -----all true, EXCEPT if it can be shown and proven that the engine manufacturer stated that such and such could be burned, then the Court of Discovery will side with the defendant every time and MoT will also.

HV ------ I stand corrected sir. I have dug through my P & W info and I was incorrect.......partly. Arctic Diesel can be burned for 1000hrs plus, BUT "Avgas can only be burned for 150hrs maximum between O/H's". That comes from P & W Service Bulletin #1244R18 and is shown on Table 13. The Avgas that they refer to is 100/130. Again, my apologies.

If memory serves me correctly, the limit is in the area of 1000hrs, with a checking of igniters taking place at certain intervals. It can go past 1000hrs, but at that point there has to be a total flush of the fuel system for some reason + a few other things done.

****There's something called JP-7 floating around in the odd place worldwide and it's extremely corrosive (that's what they burnt in the SR-71).......so DON"T TOUCH!-------use the vodka instead. :lol:

I certainly appreciate all the input guys. Unfortunately I can't check out any of the links 'cause I'm on a satellite hook up and they block most sites (but were kind enough to allow me on to this one) due to expense, but I will when I get home.

Cap, I would be willing to bet money that you have to flush the fuel system after so long burning diesel because of algae. I grew up on the coast and was absolutely astounded the first time I saw the "Fuel Doctor" people cleaning the algae out of a fishing boat's tanks. This problem led to a Trawler (or Dragger depending on where you're from) losing its engine and going up on the rocks off Prince Rupert in a nasty blow about ten years ago. Another boat came to the rescue but they had a clutch failure and joined their friends on the beach of Prince Leboo Island. Our American friends came down with a Jayhawk from Sitka and rescued about a dozen people (including some Canadian Coast Guard guys who had flipped their Zodiac) with no losses and only minor injuries... water and air are both very unforgiving mistresses... but come to think of it, is there such a thing as a forgiving mistress?

HV

P.S. As for the vodka... well it's not allowed here... in the camp or the country... but I do have a case of 1.5 litre water bottles under my bed that NO ONE is allowed to touch... it's for emergencies only... ;)

Strange that anyone would use diesel when given a choice. There is a well known drilling company that uses Jet A-1 in both the helicopters and their big rigs pulling the equipment and the drills too, why, it is cheaper than having multiple setups and fuel is cheaper!! Has to be A-1 for lubrication properties for the diesel trucks.

sc