Jump to content

What's to old to start?


Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Wizard said:

Back when I was on the ground I made $12/hr (10 years ago). I worked my butt off but for a great group of guys who went through the same type of thing when they were low time/apprentices. 

What was more important to me than money was the opportunity, I could pay my bills and feed myself and I knew if I kept my head down I wasn't going to be on the ground for forever.

Yeah $12/hr ain't gonna feed a family of four. If I told anyone I paid 80k for a program and what I got out of it was cleaning bathrooms for 12/hr I would be laughed off the face of the planet.

Having said that if I was 16,17,18,19 20 needing my first job then that would be a different story.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hypothetically if I was hiring someone, (I however am not, nor will I be)  I would be looking at a multitude of skills, including maturity. Its clear quickly in here, that maturity is lacking in many.

HeliRico is just mad because he couldn't make it in the industry. You won't have to worry about stealing his job. 

This industry has a bad habit of taking advantage of all your non-heli skills without any intention of ever flying you.  Make sure you're clear that flying is your priority, not building a deck for th

There are many Pilots that have been there and done that.  I don't know that they were "laughed off the face of the planet", they likely didn't tell too many of their buddies how little they were making as the general population think its all big bucks in this industry, which it may be after some time, but not in the beginning.  It all depends on how badly / how much you really want to fly helicopters and make a living at it...after some time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wcobra said:

There are many Pilots that have been there and done that.  I don't know that they were "laughed off the face of the planet", they likely didn't tell too many of their buddies how little they were making as the general population think its all big bucks in this industry, which it may be after some time, but not in the beginning.  It all depends on how badly / how much you really want to fly helicopters and make a living at it...after some time.

In your opinion... in terms of opportunities which would be the better field? Fixed wing or rotor?

Has Covid killed all the job opportunities right now?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Both options your going to pay alot of money to start out at the bottom and not make much money. Having friends who went the fixed wing route they generally started to fly sooner, but making less than I did once I got flying. 

If your worried about feeding a family I would invest that 80,000 in something better and keep your current job. There are always those opportunities that are few and far between where guys start flying right away, but expect to move the family 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Wizard said:

Both options your going to pay alot of money to start out at the bottom and not make much money. Having friends who went the fixed wing route they generally started to fly sooner, but making less than I did once I got flying. 

If your worried about feeding a family I would invest that 80,000 in something better and keep your current job. There are always those opportunities that are few and far between where guys start flying right away, but expect to move the family 

I don't have a current job to keep.

I was laid off earlier this year. This now gives me the time to consider a career change.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are worried that you may have to be on the losing end of a toilet brush you definitely want to hold on to that 80 grand and maybe get into some other inďustry. It really is as bad as most guys are saying. Some guys have had good even great experiences but the norm is just outright lies and abuse. I'm around your age and if I had to Do It again in this day and age I wouldn't. Just my 2 cents take it or leave it. Good luck.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, shakey said:

If you are worried that you may have to be on the losing end of a toilet brush you definitely want to hold on to that 80 grand and maybe get into some other inďustry. It really is as bad as most guys are saying. Some guys have had good even great experiences but the norm is just outright lies and abuse. I'm around your age and if I had to Do It again in this day and age I wouldn't. Just my 2 cents take it or leave it. Good luck.

I never agree with Shakey, but in this case I'll make an exception. The industry is in a downhill trajectory, off-shore oil, seismic, mineral exploration and forestry jobs are drying up. You will probably be too old to ever get into medivac, RCMP, and government once you go through the grind of getting the experience that is required. The only route I see available for you is a base job flying lights and intermediates, that generally requires moving more remote locations. That might be your thing, but you will be on call most of the time, will get relieved occasionally by a pool pilot. But what do I know.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...