Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

What's to old to start?

Fly47

9 minutes ago, Wizard said:

Back when I was on the ground I made $12/hr (10 years ago). I worked my butt off but for a great group of guys who went through the same type of thing when they were low time/apprentices. 

What was more important to me than money was the opportunity, I could pay my bills and feed myself and I knew if I kept my head down I wasn't going to be on the ground for forever.

Yeah $12/hr ain't gonna feed a family of four. If I told anyone I paid 80k for a program and what I got out of it was cleaning bathrooms for 12/hr I would be laughed off the face of the planet.

Having said that if I was 16,17,18,19 20 needing my first job then that would be a different story.

There are many Pilots that have been there and done that.  I don't know that they were "laughed off the face of the planet", they likely didn't tell too many of their buddies how little they were making as the general population think its all big bucks in this industry, which it may be after some time, but not in the beginning.  It all depends on how badly / how much you really want to fly helicopters and make a living at it...after some time.

4 minutes ago, wcobra said:

There are many Pilots that have been there and done that.  I don't know that they were "laughed off the face of the planet", they likely didn't tell too many of their buddies how little they were making as the general population think its all big bucks in this industry, which it may be after some time, but not in the beginning.  It all depends on how badly / how much you really want to fly helicopters and make a living at it...after some time.

In your opinion... in terms of opportunities which would be the better field? Fixed wing or rotor?

Has Covid killed all the job opportunities right now?

Both options your going to pay alot of money to start out at the bottom and not make much money. Having friends who went the fixed wing route they generally started to fly sooner, but making less than I did once I got flying. 

If your worried about feeding a family I would invest that 80,000 in something better and keep your current job. There are always those opportunities that are few and far between where guys start flying right away, but expect to move the family 

31 minutes ago, Wizard said:

Both options your going to pay alot of money to start out at the bottom and not make much money. Having friends who went the fixed wing route they generally started to fly sooner, but making less than I did once I got flying. 

If your worried about feeding a family I would invest that 80,000 in something better and keep your current job. There are always those opportunities that are few and far between where guys start flying right away, but expect to move the family 

I don't have a current job to keep.

I was laid off earlier this year. This now gives me the time to consider a career change.

If you are worried that you may have to be on the losing end of a toilet brush you definitely want to hold on to that 80 grand and maybe get into some other inďustry. It really is as bad as most guys are saying. Some guys have had good even great experiences but the norm is just outright lies and abuse. I'm around your age and if I had to Do It again in this day and age I wouldn't. Just my 2 cents take it or leave it. Good luck.

3 minutes ago, shakey said:

If you are worried that you may have to be on the losing end of a toilet brush you definitely want to hold on to that 80 grand and maybe get into some other inďustry. It really is as bad as most guys are saying. Some guys have had good even great experiences but the norm is just outright lies and abuse. I'm around your age and if I had to Do It again in this day and age I wouldn't. Just my 2 cents take it or leave it. Good luck.

I never agree with Shakey, but in this case I'll make an exception. The industry is in a downhill trajectory, off-shore oil, seismic, mineral exploration and forestry jobs are drying up. You will probably be too old to ever get into medivac, RCMP, and government once you go through the grind of getting the experience that is required. The only route I see available for you is a base job flying lights and intermediates, that generally requires moving more remote locations. That might be your thing, but you will be on call most of the time, will get relieved occasionally by a pool pilot. But what do I know.