Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

UH-1 Drag Brace

onemorepilot

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I checked out for a while... Been in the bush.

Where to start?...

First, I agree that the safety weinies are important. I was was one for a while and one thing that I learned is that adding another item to a checklist or another signoff (the ICC) is not always the answer. Apparently there is debate about whether a mast nut qualifies. I think it is more important that people think about what they are doing than to blindly follow procedures. We shouldn't have to tell someone that a mast nut is important so be extrat careful.

Also, it is important that we are all able to talk about these things. Since we are human, we will make mistakes and they need to be pointed out in order for us to improve. I encourage my ground crews to tell me when I'm doing something stupid. We need to be big boys and girls and accept constructive criticism.

You are correct SwingWing that one should look at the mast nut on preflight. Please read the previous post to find out when that discrepancy was discovered. Also, next time you're up there, think about how you look at it. From the top you will see that everything is in place. You may even feel that the nut is in place but actually seeing that the nut is not tight is a different matter.

On 7/12/2018 at 6:57 PM, 212wrench said:

http://www.bst-tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/aviation/2000/a00q0046/a00q0046.asp

No need to dual it, not a flight control.  Seriously?

Exactly!

When we have too many rules and policies, we lose the ability to think for ourselves. It doesn't matter if it's flight controls, transmission mounts or the  connecting rod bolts on your race car engine. Some things are critical so check them twice. And have someone else check them if you can.

We need to teach the young mechanics and pilots to do the right thing even if they're not told to by rule or policy.

On 7/12/2018 at 4:22 AM, onemorepilot said:

You are correct SwingWing that one should look at the mast nut on preflight. Please read the previous post to find out when that discrepancy was discovered. Also, next time you're up there, think about how you look at it. From the top you will see that everything is in place. You may even feel that the nut is in place but actually seeing that the nut is not tight is a different matter.

Unable to determine when that discrepancy was discovered from reading previous post.