Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

UH-1 Drag Brace

onemorepilot

I also have never heard of this happening.There have been cases of the brace breaking.I would also agree it may not have been tightened properly.I found the main corner bolts for the trany only finger tight on a 205 one time and this ship had been flying for a month like that.It was NOT a machine from the company that I was working with.

Thanks for the input everyone. DOM is insisting that it was tight and backed off in flight. That didn't make sense to me, but I wanted to throw it out here before I pushed the issue. This is just one example of recent problems. Don't want to get into too much detail here, but it's time for DOM to retire... Sad story really and I don't want to be the one to push things, but we gotta do what we gotta do right?

Thanks again.

you have to put things into perspective, any properly torqued piece of hardware should never just back off.

There always has to be something that causes it.

most times its incorrect torque loading in the first place. 

When you get into flight controls, and other important connections, they add a secondary locking, such as lockwire, loctite or self locking nuts.

I haven't been up around a medium head in a long time, but i dont recall any secondary locking. Realistically if only one nuts loose, the brace still is not going anywhere, the other nut still firmly holds the rod from rotating. However if two loosen, then the rod has the opportunity to turn at some point. I would hope someone finds the issue long before that causes problems.

I agree with you that the answer from your DOM is a bit off, but i dont think it should be the only factor into forcing his retirement unless theres been other issues.

GreyHorizons,

Agreed on all counts. I actually never thought of it as an "oh sh#t" moment due to the other jamb nut being tight. Also, my gut feeling was that this is not an issue because there is no secondary safety.

Unfortunately, there have been other issues; mast nut safety not installed on a 206 is only one other example, but we'll leave it there. In my mind, the bigger problem is the refusal to accept and address the systemic problems in the shop that cause these things to keep happening.

Here's the bad part: We have been working together and butting heads occasionally for over 20 years. Until recently, his work has been impeccable and I had a great deal of respect for his knowledge and experience. I just hate to see a guy end a long and respectable career this way.

We have pretty high standards here in Canada, I'm assuming since you fly a UH-1 that you are not working in Canada.  Your gripes would not go unnoticed here.  It would be rare for the drag brace to loosen, unless it wasn't tight or you had a blade strike.  Leaving the lock off a 206 mast nut is a slip, where did the lock and bolt end up?

It sounds like you're working for a budget operator,  if they had a clue, they would acknowledge your problems and try to come up with a happy solution.