Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

206L3 Powercheck issue

naderbauer

In the older L's you could do a power check at any altitude in cruise flight.They wanted to make sure that the bled valve would be closed so a high torque setting was usually required but you also have an airspeed restriction at settings in the yellow.You would set the power at the high end of the green...maintain a set pressure altitude...ie...2000ft..then you could get a good TOT reading .I remember doing a power check on an L4 and it had the same charts that you have mentioned. I was getting a little bit worried about being at 10000 ft when ground elevation was 500 ft. No idea why they changed the power check method.Being up that high makes sure that the bled valve will be closed. Some of the old c-28 engines that I flew had the bled valves removed and you were not allowed to go above 3000 ft. Doing that power check in the L4 you had to stay below 90 kts and pulling 100% torque at 10000 you are still climbing like he##. Very hard to get a good TOT reading at a set altitude. Not fun for sure. I did a power check in a 205 once...that was crazy...they wanted you to top out the N1....do you know how High we got in that thing. It was 30 C on the ground. I had a t-shirt on and almost froze when she finally red lined! We were somewhere above 12000 ft! I aint doing that again. I should have said there was only 2 of us in the 205...should have taken 14 good friends for a ride...would have helped. You may want to load that L3 up to gross weight to get it to stop climbing as fast. I don't know of any other charts...give Mr Bell a call.

I should have mentioned that my buddy Ray was driving the 205 and we were doing an N1 topping check.That was the highest that I was ever at in a helicopter...I haven't done a power check in an L now for probably 10 yrs....I do remember asking the wrench that I had with me if he was ready to go really high and he also said he didn't ever want to do that again....had fun doing an auto on the way back down!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/3/2019 at 5:57 PM, robottxt said:

The L4 flight manual has an alternate method.  Slow down and pull 100%tq, record numbers passing through a selected altitude in the climb.   Works every time. Done them at sea level no problem.   

Can you tell me where this is located in the flight manual? I can not find. Thanks.