State of the industry for low-timers

59 minutes ago, CM119 said:

It’s unrecognizable from when I started.  There isn’t one publicly traded company in Canada anymore.  
I would replace disheartening with *infuriating.  
You are right with the license recognition globally, Canada used to be known as leaders in high quality pilots and engineers.  Now, you’re lucky to see anyone that actually follows the maintenance manual or knows how to set a drill tower properly.
 What I’m seeing is AME’s being fast tracked with type endorsements on mediums and yes even heavy’s as one of their first endorsements and they don’t even know the basics of track and balance yet.  Pilot side the quality factor I’m sorry to say is out the window.  It’s lots and LOTS of foreign drivers compared to what it was.  
New domestic pilots are just cab drivers, some old guys can still bird tow and set a power pack and tower, sock line and run bags but I don’t see any young guys that can anymore.  
I do have a few dear old friends in Canada at companies I do help out when I’m available for more in depth maintenance and training (time provided).  They all echo exactly what I and many others have posted on this forum.  This industry indeed is in a nose dive, I don’t think it will get any better soon in Canada if ever.  

I had the pleasure to teach a couple of pilots how to move a drill. I was on a job where other pilots had been punted and near the end of the job I was time xing and I got the young guys in and it was fun to show them how to do a drill move.

I have no idea if they have done anything since but now they know the basics so they don't get punted.

I have always tried to show lower time guys how to do things correctly and tell them they are messing up before it becomes an issue/ accident. 

I have stopped flying this year because of just how far down the industry has fallen.

And I don't want to blame just the aviation side. The forestry agencies across Canada think they have more power than TC.... the sad part is the owners let this happen as they did not believe in good service over price. And this was brought on by the shady operators that are still out there.

Fly safe.

And to all you low timers.... learn to say....  NO..... and learn how to stand by your decision. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Pool pilot said:

learn to say....  NO..... and learn how to stand by your decision. 

The easiest thing to teach them but the hardest (especially this younger generation) for them to actually do

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bowman said:

@CM119 and others with a sour view of the state of the industry in Canada, where if anywhere does the rw sector look favorable?

For me personally USA has been very good for awesome customers and variety, you’re very limited in types to fly and work on in Canada, probably more limited than any of the rest of the developed and third world lol.  I like the good natured attitude states side there’s next to zero politics and most of the guys are ex army, marines or coast guard. 

You can go international  and work offshore in South America (usually Brazil) I have a few cohorts working there.  Australia is always good in our winters but be cautious of who you work for there, some operators are FUN to work for.  

PNG is an option, just don’t move there unless you want to smell and smell of burning plastic your whole life.  There are various operators in the Caribbean to investigate, I know a couple guys that had it with Canadas industry and moved there. 

Japan did like our maintainers and drivers but I’m out of touch in that part of the world.  I do know a couple guys working there, just lost touch.

There are plenty of options, you don’t have to limit yourself to Canada especially in the state it’s in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, CM119 said:

For me personally USA has been very good for awesome customers and variety, you’re very limited in types to fly and work on in Canada, probably more limited than any of the rest of the developed and third world lol.  I like the good natured attitude states side there’s next to zero politics and most of the guys are ex army, marines or coast guard. 

You can go international  and work offshore in South America (usually Brazil) I have a few cohorts working there.  Australia is always good in our winters but be cautious of who you work for there, some operators are FUN to work for.  

PNG is an option, just don’t move there unless you want to smell and smell of burning plastic your whole life.  There are various operators in the Caribbean to investigate, I know a couple guys that had it with Canadas industry and moved there. 

Japan did like our maintainers and drivers but I’m out of touch in that part of the world.  I do know a couple guys working there, just lost touch.

There are plenty of options, you don’t have to limit yourself to Canada especially in the state it’s in. 

Thanks for sharing

• Like 1

Just now, bowman said:

Thanks for sharing

We have the internet Google and more recently AI.  The information is at your fingertips, it’s a big world and industry outside of Canada.  There’s way more to experience and learn.  I’m here to help.

2 hours ago, bowman said:

@CM119 and others with a sour view of the state of the industry in Canada, where if anywhere does the rw sector look favorable?

In consideration of the topic, I’d suggest the USA. Licence conversion is simple, however, these days to work commercially in the US a sponsor is needed. That is a lottery these days as most US companies don’t sponsor at this time.

If I were to be getting my licence these days, I would advise getting or completing my licence in the US, the visa of which which can easily lead into a 2 year working experience as well. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CM119 said:

We have the internet Google and more recently AI.  The information is at your fingertips, it’s a big world and industry outside of Canada.  There’s way more to experience and learn.  I’m here to help.

Not that easy to just go and work in the US is it? Last I checked they don’t hire Canadians without work permits, unless you work for a company that has operations down there, or you moved there 20 years ago when it was possible to do so.

25 minutes ago, atari said:

Not that easy to just go and work in the US is it? Last I checked they don’t hire Canadians without work permits, unless you work for a company that has operations down there, or you moved there 20 years ago when it was possible to do so.

No, you have to find the right place to sponsor you.  There’s Canadian drivers down there and they won’t be back.  Lots of them got scalped from Canadian companies when seismic was a thing a few decades ago.  IFR guys just got picked up.  You just need to take a chance on yourself and sell what you have!

On 6/12/2024 at 10:12 PM, Tripod said:

You aren’t looking in the right places.  A&P’s have had a huge surge in rates in the past years.  9/11 severely hurt rates as did the big short in 2008.  They can’t get people fast enough.  A&P’s at Bristow make almost double that and more based on experience, just on rotation plus all the perks.  You also have to factor in their tax is less than half ours and dollar 33% stronger.  They’re also home more, the guys going out on rotation can make double that.  Do your research, I love working in the states!

Here ya go. One of many.

IMG_4797.thumb.jpeg.62ee16da653179d70f52fc2f819d2de3.jpeg

• Like 1