Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Canada Vs Us Training

MSAddict

Hi All

First post here - and this has probably been answered in parts elsewhere... however...

I have been fairly convinced to train in the US. It's inexpensive and for me, as a UK citizen, offers the j1 visa and the vital hour building Instructor employment after completing the CFII course.

Could someone bring me up to speed as to whether there is a Canadian equivalent for hour building and also approx costs for courses.

Thanks for any heads-up

Hi All

First post here - and this has probably been answered in parts elsewhere... however...

I have been fairly convinced to train in the US. It's inexpensive and for me, as a UK citizen, offers the j1 visa and the vital hour building Instructor employment after completing the CFII course.

Could someone bring me up to speed as to whether there is a Canadian equivalent for hour building and also approx costs for courses.

Thanks for any heads-up

:) But remember MSA, you get what you pay for! What concerns us up here (Canada) , is the "integrity" of a lot of the training schools. We get a lot of first hand stories of hidden charges, or the "your not ready" for your flight test yet, and yes, the "we hired outside the school " because.....? My point, is shop around carefully, we have witnessed to many broken promises. Also ask yourself, what quality training am i going to receive from a newly licenced instructor? Take a look at instructor experience and how long the school has been in business. How about location and accomodations? I would really recommend you visit the school ( better yet "many" schools), and talk to the students, instructors, etc. Get a feel for what the they are all about.

Shop around and compare, and please feel free to consider the quality of training given, and not just the price.

Check us out also Here...www.chinookhelicopters.com

Protect your future investment.....achieve the highest quality training possible from a fully accredited school....Good luck in your quest...Helilog56 :up:

:) But remember MSA, you get what you pay for! What concerns us up here (Canada) , is the "integrity" of a lot of the training schools. We get a lot of first hand stories of hidden charges, or the "your not ready" for your flight test yet, and yes, the "we hired outside the school " because.....?

I was pretty much set on HAI in Florida (Heliflight & Hillsborough were backup) and I have heard good things about all 3 of them. I've trawled through loads of forum posts for US schools but this is the first for Canada.

The bottom line in the US is you need hours to get a job but you can't get a job without the hours! I assume this is the same in Canada?

I checked out your website - nice design btw. It seems there is not a direct equivalent path in Canada to the CFII hour building route. Is this correct? And from what you're saying, you wouldn't want it that way either? So who employs the low hour pilots? The charter companies?

I love the idea of the training environment but from what I can gather it's a less practical proposition...

Okay time for me to chime in with a stupid question...

I know that in Canada to take the IFR training, one needs a minimum of 50 hours PIC x-country. That 50 hours however need not all be in a helicopter. So this leads to my question.

That 250 hours PIC needed to do the CFI/4 training... does it all have to be in helicopters? I would imagine it does, but have never been able to find it in writing.

Edited by Ryan

You guys are saying it's a bad thing to require 250 hours PIC time to instruct?

I mean don't get me wrong, after getting your ab-initio, you have quite a bit of experience to pass on and everything...

So, ray, how do you suggest getting the "magical" 1000 hours? How did you get yours, BTW. If you have a secret pass it on...