Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

The best thing about the helicopter industry...

Guest Bullet Remington

Gotta go with Deuce and Biggs on this one. Being able to blow up at 03:00, everybody letting ya do that, then the lot of them laughing at ya in the morning!

Everybody smelling like an armpit! And everybody looking after everybody else.

Don''t get that in the plank world! It just ain''t the same.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've spent most of my career in the Military and met some great guys as well (I'm trying meet more people now, but YSJ is pretty quiet for helo traffic). Did some worthwhile things, too. I also treasure the places I've seen thanks to my 10000 spare parts flying in loose formation. Not places I'd want to live in, but great to visit. Musk oxen on the tundra, how many Canadians can say they've seen that aside from we few, we proud few, we band of brothers. Apologies to Bill Shakespeare (and Whirlygirl).

Guest Bullet Remington

Gannet:

Great to see ya back. Where ya been??

What The heck are ya doin in YSJ??? You harvesting herbies??

Stay active, Bro. Been there, done that! Saw the musk ox. Ate em too. Once!

I prefer Burt Rutan's line: A bunch of metal fatigue ciriling an oil leak!!

BR

BR,

I have to admit, I'm a lurker. You know, 'Give many men your ear, but few your voice.' Also, as most of my time is in Boeing Vertol, I don't feel obliged to weigh in on the Clockwise vs Anti-clockwise drive helicopter debate. I was happiest having them spinning in both directions! Helo side of things have been quiet for me lately, but Twin Otter stuff has been more active, boring holes between YSJ and St Quentin area.1.gif

And mmmmmm......Musk Ox......insert drool smilie here (Kyle, I think we need one).

Guest Bullet Remington

CTD:

I sure hope Gannet ain't floggin that ugly red on white one that I "Ramp Inspected" in Northern Manituba a couple of years back!

That one had a bunch of corrosion around the battery door. Pop rivets in the lwr aft side of the L/H nacelle, peeling patches on the Vert Stab de-ice boots, cracks (Stopped drilled) in the trailing edge of the L/H elevator, and the list goes on.

Funny thing (or ironic depends on how ya look at it) that was the same machine that brought in the MM Inspectors to do an audit on another company across the runway.

They were really PO'd when I photocopied a few pages of the CAARs and provided a list of discrepancies, and photos to the pilot, then advised him that he wasn't flying the machine out until the issues were addressed!

They did bring in a couple of engineers to fix the "airworthiness issues." But Man, I  believe I'm still their favorite target in that region.

And I love the attention!!

Guest Bullet Remington

DW:

I assume that last post was directed at me?? or my posting??

I beg to differ. Firstly I don't believe it is nor was distaseful, there was no insult intended then nor now! Nor was I bragging. CTD knows who I am. I never make any attempt to hide my identity from anybody who had a reson, whether good or bad, to know it.

Further I am very well known to a many, many TC employees, from MMI, Safety,  Operations and Certification people. I have worked with, for and against many of them. For the most part I enjoy seeing them come in the door.

On the other hand there are a couple I won't let in the door for various reasons.

There is a dictate in CARs which clear states that they can "Ramp Check" any aircraft at any time they deem it warranted. There IS NOT, however, anything stating I can't "Ramp Check" their aircraft.

Turn about is fair play. I have to play by the rules, and so do they. I still regularly talk to the people from that region and they still talk to me.

The only people that find it distasteful, are the people in the industry. So far there have been two. You are one of those. And frankly Sir, I'm at a loss as to why you would find the posting distasteful.

Could be your perspective on the CARs differ from mine. And, of course that is your perogitive.

We as a group discuss a multiude of differing subjects on this forum. Why should the topic of Transport be any different??

Per chance you feel I have "insulted" someone? I believe not. Most of the people in Transport are aware of "what comes with the territory." And they accept that, as do I.

If you find my posts "distasteful or insulting" it is but  your interpretation of they. I can understand that it is, at times. difficult to intrepretate "tonality and infliction" from the written word. Please feel free to ignore anything I post should you fell so inclined.

Having stated that, I shall continue to look forward to your continued posts. I do so enjoy reading your perspective (most anyway) on the plight and state of the industry.

Please note: Nothing in the above post was nor is meant to be condesending, sarcastic, nor insultuous. Please don't interpretate it that way.

Have a great and safe summer.

BR

Hi Bullet, from reading your posts in the past it is obvious that you have been around for a long while, and that you know your stuff. You are also quite competent at the keyboard.

I have to say all the same things about Downwash.

But (without taking a side) I can see Downwash's point. (I also felt your reply to be well spoken).

I think we all "ramp-check" each other's machinery when we walk up to it, to some extent.

However, in this case I'm not sure that you handled the observed snags in the diplomatic manner we would expect from someone of your experience.

Would you have handled the issues in the same way if it was a commercial machine and pilot, rather than from the Ministry ??

Also, would you have discussed such an event as openly if it affected a commercial operator, rather than the Ministry ??

We all have a few skeletons in our closets, even the Ministry. As we try to increase the level of professionalism in our industry, and drag ourselves from the "bush", shouldn't we also try to improve the sometimes strained relationship between the commercial and Ministry teams ??

I sincerely hope that if a person of your experience "ramp-checks" my helicopter (whether officially from the MoT, or unofficially from the industry) and finds the faults that you mentioned, that "inspector" will inform me (the PIC) immediately in the tactful, discrete and diplomatic manner that you would hope for if it was your equipment that was being inspected.

I sincerely hope these comments will help you see why Downwash and I were surprised by your post, and you will continue to keep a keen eye open for the defects that us pilots are not trained to detect, repair, or even fully understand their consequences.

After all, one of the best things about the helicopter industry (the original topic) is all the hard work you engineers do to keep the machines as safe as they are. Many thanks.

Respectfully yours, Over-Talk.